Leaders for Cattin

• mr-special
    MPLS

Maybe I’ve been watching too many salt water fishing shows lately or I just need some cat action, but has anyone thought of running a heavy test leader for cattin? When I say heavy I mean at least #50 mono, about 10’-15’ and then to the mainline which is usually #65-#80 braid. I think this might help against abrasions and serve at a shock leader. What do you guys think?

Whiskerkev
    Madison

You breaking fish off on the hookset? I use 30# big cat on my channel cat setups for leaders. Only because, I like the way it fishes and how easy it is to switch terminal tackle.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Phil

Yes, you just need some cat action.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

80 pound PowerPro for the main line and 80 pound PowerPro for the leader. No weak links.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

80 pound PowerPro for the main line and 80 pound PowerPro for the leader. No weak links.

Ditto on your statement.

But in your boat, you are the weak link.

Too easy!

larry_haugh
    MN

I’ve been running 50lb test mono leaders since I started catting.
    I don’t run 10-15ft leaders. It does help with shock and abrasion.
    I’m not sure you would want to do the 10-15FT though.
    Maybe I’m not understanding you.

mr-special
    MPLS

Hey Mike, I’ve been out a few times for channels but no luck so far. Should be soon though, is your number still the same?

What I had thought was to connect about 10’ of #50 mono to the mainline #65-80 superline. I believe when I break off on the hookset or after a few seconds of the fight it is usually within the 1st few feet of line after the sinker. Now that I think about it more the knot connecting the two lines will probably be the weak link anyhow and more work to mess with.

Thanks everyone, but I think I’m probably just over thinking it that’s all. Lol

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ve had one real good evening for channels, otherwise it has been quiet. I was scouting with the daughter, so I only got a little over an hour. Returned a week later and the bite was gone with the 3′ drop in river elevation and substantial drop in flow.

The # should be the same. If I don’t answer, leave a message as I often will not answer, especially if I don’t recognize the number. You know, got to keep a step ahead of the man.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I bought some heavy mono when I was in Florida to make leaders with. I’ve got them made up but the fish haven’t been biting yet.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.