Fishing for Sturgeon near International Falls?

• jech84

Can a guy fish for sturgeon along the entire Rainy River or is it only good near the Lake of the Woods? The reason why I ask is because I have access to a cabin near International Falls and it would be a shorter drive

walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

Count me in on this question too. I’ll be on the Kabategoma and Crane Lake system this summer and was wondering if i might get into one of these guys!

AverageSportsman
    SE MN

You can I have done this the last two years. The problem is that downriver a few miles it gets real shallow, to the point I could not take my boat through. Most of the river near the falls(most) is fairly shallow under 10 feet or so. Now that being said there are a few deeper holes, and we caught some sturgeon also. What I found is that the sturgeon we caught were on the smaller side. I am sure there are some bigger ones, but we have not found any larger ones yet.

We fished that area the end of March both years, so maybe the water is higher this time of year

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

When I lived in International Falls in the late ’70’s guys fished for them along the whole river, I do not know why it would be any different now.
    Good Luck,
    Ron

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Ask this question to bassbuster1 on the rainy lake forum.
    He lives up there and owns the Falls Motel on 53.
    Also ask rainydaze.
    Both of these guys KNOW that area.
    Jack

jech84

Thanks for the info!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.