Mill Ruins Suggestions

• david_scott
    Twin Cities

I am making this post for many of the Mill Ruins new-comers that are planning to attend this years gathering, and it might also help out some of the regulars on what is happening with the current bite.

I thought I would share a couple of my overviews on the recent trip to Mill Ruins for folks planning to fish down there soon, or the gathering this coming Saturday.

The best suggestion I can make is to bring a fishing rod that can make very long cast. The fish are there, but they are sitting in the main boat channel closer to the Jetty and lock wall. A long rod with the smallest reasonable line diameter line is going to cast the furthest most of the time. Spinning gear typically has better casting range than baitcasters, although some baitcasting set ups can hold their own weight with a skilled caster.

The current is a non issue, there is none unless they cycle the lock. Depending on the rod, 3/4oz – 3 oz of weight may be needed to throw a bait out a maximum distance depending on your rod weight.

The fish are hitting light compared to summer months, but they were committing to the bait and taking which kept the hookup ratio very good, and circle hooks were effective with a sweeping type of hookset(they were not doubling the rod over hooking themselves). It was important to keep an eye on the rod as the fish would eventually drop the bait if the bite wasnt capitalized on.

The baits we were using were relatively small. I only had large shad with, a small chunk of a shad fillet was working perfectly, a proportionate size to my small 1/0 gamakatsu circle hook. Smaller shad(work just as well, sometimes better) can be purchased at Moores Bait in Minneapolis. Other time proven baits for the spring channel cats are a couple fatheads on a hook(usually tear one in half), shiners, and sucker pieces. It doesnt hurt to have different baits on hand, the fish will usually show heavy preference to one type of bait which can change day to day!

Location: The entire length of the shoreline can be very productive, but the fish are not always everywhere all the time. The fish tend to get in very tight schools(often multiple schools) and if your not fishing near one, they generally wont come find you in the cold water. Sometimes casting 20′ away can be the difference between many fish, and *cant buy a bite*. Dont be afraid to move, or make minor adjustments as needed/desired.

Good luck to everyone the weekend and for the entire spring at hand!

The weather is forecast to be very good for the gathering, very good things might happen.

Ferlin Cobb
    minneapolis, mn

A long-handle net would be a good idea too… makes it easier on those fishies coming up the high retaining walls.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Or tie a regular net to a rope at the yoke. Most nets float for awhile in the water, drag the fish into the floating hoop, then use the rope to pull it up.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

A long-handle net would be a good idea too… makes it easier on those fishies coming up the high retaining walls.

I will have one very long-handled net along on Saturday.

It makes landing fish much easier.

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

I’ll have a long net too

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I have one too. But I will not net other people’s fish, but you are more than welcome to use it. You see, I don’t want to be responsible for losing someone’s fish. I tend to get a little excited.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

how long is long?

wastewaterguru

I think someone is overcompensating………..

I think I am going out to buy a new corvette after seeing that net.

Maybe buy a year supply of Enzyte to boot……

See y’all on Saturday!!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

how long is long?

We could probably use that to get across to the rocks.

You might have to stand at the Guthrie to use that.

I didn’t know which response to go with.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

To me, it matters more how often a net is used, not that it’s longer.

flaco651
    St. Paul's Westside

The net Gary’s got in the pic comes in 3 sections. I’ve never had to use it fully extended.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

That thing’s a beast. I’ve got an 11′ handle on mine and I thought it was huge.

tyler_holm
    Rochester, MN

Girth is WAY more important that length.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

As usual, seems I am using a trout net in a flathead world.

larry_haugh
    MN

Quote:

Soooo………….. those Natural Enhancements really do work.
    Should we start calling you girthy, stubby or stump.

hanson

Tyler, I’m concerned…

You caught that ‘Girth’ in the St Croix River. Who knows where that has been?

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I think the funniest part of this whole post is that 2 separate guys posed for a picture…….with their landing net

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Good call Darren!

fisher sherry
    Minneapolis

Quote:

I think the funniest part of this whole post is that 2 separate guys posed for a picture…….with their landing net

That’s what I was thinking too, Darren!!

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Quote:

UMMMMM…..we are Catfishermen not your every day people if ya know what I mean!

Sorry for another High-Jack Dave…

fisher sherry
    Minneapolis

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

UMMMMM…..we are Catfishermen not your every day people if ya know what I mean!

Sorry for another High-Jack Dave…

Yep. I know exactly what ya mean. I’ve fished with all of you… even the ones who posed for pictures with their nets.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Coming from a guy that posed with a trolling motor, I get it

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Hey….

Maybe we should all bring our landing nets tomorrow and we can get a group photo? (That is a joke, but would be funny)

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I want a picture of me in Tyler’s net.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.