St Coix fishing update 9/12

• david_scott
    Twin Cities

The fish have turned the feedbag back on! We headed out and tried a couple old reliable spots, and messed around with a couple new spots. The action was consistant with a mix of decent sturgeon and nice channel cats… and a sheephead.

We were using larger baits than usual. 3″-4″ shad were producing the strikes for us. We didnt pay attention to how many fish we caught(about 7 or 8 sturgeon), but the average sze was running about 40″ with only one small sturgeon. 48″ was the biggest of the day as a few fish came unhooked early in the daylight, one was a fish in the 50″ classthat cleared the water and gave a heck of a display before coming unhooked under the boat.. Thats fishing!

Marc got one of thew chunkier channels I have seen for a long time at 30″ long and 18″ in girth(11.5#). St croix channels are not starving! All 4 channels ranged fom 5 – 11.5 pounds.

Windy or not, it was a enjoyable evening ont he water!

flaco651
    St. Paul's Westside

Hopefully early next week I’ll get a chance to get out on the Croix and get in on the sturgeon action. Looks like a lot of fun.

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

can’t wait ’till Sat.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Looks like a blast!

audemp
    Wi

It was a great time. Im glad we could find some! That channel put up the greatest fight I have had in a long time. I caught that one on one of Daves custom rods. If anyone gets a chance try one of his rods out. Those rods, I believe, could compete with any St. Croix or loomis rods out there. After I caught that one I was sold and put in an order for one. I will let Dave give more details about the custom rods.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.