Sturgeon and wind.

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Switching gears here a bit…I was just reading the “Walleye & Misguided Preperations” post by James in the eye forum. ‘Corse, that got me thinking about my skunked sturgeon trip up to LOTW’s.

Has anyone figured out how to reliable make a decent day of sturgeon fishing in the wind?

I think most would stay home with winds gusting to 35 mph…but even in a 20 mph wind the bite darn near stops.

I don’t believe it’s fronts moving through. I think the key is keeping the bait still. But even holding the rod and moving with the boat, it seems that they just don’t bite.

Any thoughts?

Bob Bowman
    MN

I don’t know jack squat about sturgeon, but from the 1 experience I do have under my belt. I can say this. When we had the boat ancored up good, Not moving in the current, we got bit. If the boat was moving, we were not getting any biters, even holding the rod, we still could not get any.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

I don’t know jack squat about sturgeon, but from the 1 experience I do have under my belt. I can say this. When we had the boat ancored up good, Not moving in the current, we got bit. If the boat was moving, we were not getting any biters, even holding the rod, we still could not get any.

What in God’s green earth am I doing in the Catfish/Sturgeon forum

You say convert…I guess there is a chance still…Man do those fish fight

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Years ago, I was fishing with a guy on Johnson lake (up near the Falls). We weren’t doing a darned thing all morning, zip! Finally he asked me to pull over to this rocky shoreline so he could get out. I assumed this was for a “nature call” but to my surprise he lobbed a Lindy rig out into the lake and then propped the rod up on a stick. And within about 10 minutes he had a Walleye on shore. Then a Smallie, and then another Walleye! His theory was that there were times when the fish wanted the bait sitting absolutely still, and you can’t do that from a boat. He said he had done this shore fishing trick many times under similar circumstances and it frequently paid off.

So if it was that slow, maybe it was time to find a shore fishing spot and a forked stick. Hmmm….and a coooler and a BBQ too

Nice avatar by the way, Mr. Walleye

Rootski

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

What about a really long leader? That might give you a little play when the sinker might be prone to slide around a bit…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

So if it was that slow, maybe it was time to find a shore fishing spot and a forked stick.

That could have saved the day!

The best days I’ve had is blue bird calm days….31 fish in 2.5 hours with Mr. Steve DeMarrs as the guide.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I know they dont quit biting all toghther, but I do know its a bear detecting the bite in windy conditions.

A balance of anchor placement, and a rod with a really soft tip got most all of my success last fall on the croix when the white caps were rolling. Getting the boat to stay somewhat stationary is near impossible, but it helps immensely to left a bunch of extra anchor line on the front anchor, drop the rear anchor and left out some slack.. pull the boat foreward by the fron anchor rope and find a position the anchors are pulling from both ways… It does help, but still there are issues with boat movement.

The soft tip rod is a giant +, and a little more weight than usual. Keeping the bait stationary is important and the light tip helps when there is wave/boat movement. Picking up the rod on top of that to feel for bites also helps. I set the hook as soon as I am positive I have a bite in windy conditions, I suspect I might not be detecting the bites some of the time.

I am going to try 2 front anchors this fall if its anything like last year with the wind on the croix. I suspect having 2 good anchors out spread a considerable distance between them(side to side) and hooking the ropes off to side cleats on the boat(1/3 distance back from front) on each side should reduce, or eliminate boat sway if both anchors are holding… If all else fails, a rear anchor can be added… but that will be another topic this fall I am sure!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

What about jigging for them or dragging bait for them. These fish must be hitting food that is drifting down river. What about chasing suspending sturgeon. I thought I heard out west thew troll dead fish suspended to catch those big sturgeon on the Columbia. All those fish we see hit the surface must be there for some reason.

Just my thoughts. I have no answers for them.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Crazy as it sounds, a guy I fished with last year used a heavy fly rod. The rod absorbed the biggest wave and detected the bites. Might not be the best “fighting rod” but it worked pretty good.

larry_haugh
    MN

Quote:

but it helps immensely to left a bunch of extra anchor line on the front anchor, drop the rear anchor and left out some slack.. pull the boat foreward by the fron anchor rope and find a position the anchors are pulling from both ways… It does help, but still there are issues with boat movement.

Dave,
    This does work. You need some one who can pitch anchors quick. But its how we fish the croix last fall. 2 anchors up front as spread as you could get them. Fall back……. toss the rear. Pull tension and it worked even with Scotts big barge.
    Just make sure you got an anchor that bites or has some weight.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.