My scale is worthless!

• david_scott
    Twin Cities

Tonight blacksportsman caught a 43″ Flathead with a 33″ girth, and my rapala digital read 32 pounds?!? I havent seen many flatheads for a while considering its early… but its hard to believe that fish wasnt 40#, and maybe a little extra.

The fish was bleeding and we didnt want to get it all over wastewaterguru’s boat.. so a margin of user error is very possible.

We had a total of 6 runs all together tonight with one fish that stuck. The action is not fast, but the fish are out there. We had 4 people in the boat, all the runs came on good size bullies. Most of the bites came in pretty fast moving water near current seams and key structures in 5′-15′ of water. The *perfectly placed baits* that you would bet on getting hit didnt get touched that I recall.

I will try to post some photo’s later today if Manny doesnt get to it 1st.

Nice fish Manny!

larry_haugh
    MN

SO WAS BOTH OF OURS!?!?!?

I bet you’ve tested your scale by now….And it probably was close to right.

We had one last night that we did the triple take… and then pulled out a second scale to verify on because we swore it should have gone heavier.

I think that is early in the year and were just not not into our groove on weight perspectives.

That does seem a little on the light side given the dimensions, If I had to call it.

I’m surprised that you didn’t get another scale out to verify on the spot.

Way to go Manny!!! Can’t wait to see the pics of your fish.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I think it’s called beginning of the year weights.

I was backwards with Larry’s 38 pounder the other night…didn’t think she would bust out of the twenty’s. \

On the other hand…the two invasive species we landed last night at 25 and 27 inches…I thought would be heavier.

One cat run into the wood with a wet release.

I’ll have some photo’s in the wallaby forum later tonight.

I really hate loosing a perfectly good bullhead to one of those “things”.

audemp
    Wi

Hey Manny, was that on the Boss #4 and the new 7000? How was the fight?

How late did you guys end up staying out?

Hopefully I can get out soon…this is driving me nuts!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

audemp.. I just got home at 3:30 this morning when I posted. We quit fishing ahortly after 2 when I missed the last run.

Manny did catch it on his #4 and 7000 reel, it did very well in the heavy current. I am sure he will fill us in when he has a chance to get at a computer.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Quote:

I was backwards with Larry’s 38 pounder the other night…didn’t think she would bust out of the twenty’s. \

Larry’s 38-39 pounder from the other night is what I used to verify my scale is off, very similar dimensions, Mannys had a few more inches in girth…

I didnt want to post the fish on there and look like I was trying to hijack a thread when comparing one similar big fish to another

blacksportsman
    Fridley, MN

Well, I’m happy either way. We know that it’s at least a 43″ long, 32 lb’r and I am awfully satisfied with those results. I’m not going to join in the debate on weight. I have no reason to complain. Who knows? Maybe it was a light early season flat…maybe in a couple weeks it’ll be a solid 40+ without any doubts…

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Way to go Manny!

I don’t want to get into any debates either. I have been doing A LOT of number crunching in the past few days gathering lots of data. I came up with a formula that is almost dead on (within 0-3 pounds every time). Its Length*Length*Girth/1275.

My fish last night was 35.5×21 with the formula is about 21 and the scale was 22.8.

With Manny’s numbers it comes out to 47.8. Looking at the mouth, I would say that fish isn’t near that weight. Are you sure your tape isn’t worthless

No matter still a PIG.

Nice

blacksportsman
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

Hey Manny, was that on the Boss #4 and the new 7000? How was the fight?

Yup…on the new Boss #4 paired with the 7000! Awesome combo! Thanks again for a great deal on a sweet reel, Audemp!

The rod and reel got throughly broken in this week…first a 20 lb’r earlier in the week and now this? I can’t wait to see how the rest of the summer goes!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

dtro.. his 38″ tape measure is pretty worthless! None the less.. I know the lenght measurements were pretty darn accurate.

The picture desnt do any justice to the fish. I guess we can take in perspective of Manny at about 250# wearing 2 insulated jackets on a 54 degree May night for a backdrop.

I havent looked at my pictures yet to see how they came out, I can hopefully get to that this afternoon.

No debate needed.. its a nice fish regardless!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Whatever size it was…nice fish Manny!

Bet that sucker woke you up!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Quote:

Ok Manny.. nice fish!… but I am going to contridict my own statement that started the post

Looking at the picture, it would be consistant with a 32# fish. It had a lot of lenght, great girth at the head.. but the body is pretty *streamline* which suggest the scale is in fact accurate. I will test the scale here shortly, I have a couple weights laying around that will determine the accuracy of the scale.

Its was just very hard to swallow that fish being so long, and so light for its length. Everyone in the boat agreed.. but everyone can also be wrong!

So.. I opened my mouth before re-evaluating the facts… so shoot me! It was aMONSTER compared to anything I have caught this year as of yet!

audemp
    Wi

Manny I hope you can get into some more like that to make up for you missing the sturgeon excursion! That is a great fish, nice pose too! What does that say? King of the cats?!! It sure is!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Very nice lookin’ cat

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

Quote:

Ok Manny.. nice fish!… but I am going to contridict my own statement that started the post

Looking at the picture, it would be consistant with a 32# fish. It had a lot of lenght, great girth at the head.. but the body is pretty *streamline* which suggest the scale is in fact accurate. I will test the scale here shortly, I have a couple weights laying around that will determine the accuracy of the scale.

Its was just very hard to swallow that fish being so long, and so light for its length. Everyone in the boat agreed.. but everyone can also be wrong!

So.. I opened my mouth before re-evaluating the facts… so shoot me! It was aMONSTER compared to anything I have caught this year as of yet!

I have video last night of my boat mate calling my 22 a mid 30’s fish. Probably because I said the same thing as we hoisted it in the boat

larry_haugh
    MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ok Manny.. nice fish!… but I am going to contridict my own
    statement that started the post

Who said 30’s….. I think you misheard the video. I recall it being high teens…. Oh wait that was my fish

I have video last night of my boat mate calling my 22 a mid 30’s fish. Probably because I said the same thing as we hoisted it in the boat

I will tell you what…. I have no clue on how heavy a fish is in a net. All the big ones I have landed have been by hand. Including a 60 inch and 58 inch sturgeon….
    I guess I like to do things the hard way

Bob…. I think I’m ready for one of your nets….. Very Soon Mate.

alan34
    MN

Nice flat. Good job.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Heck of a nice fish Manny

I have to agree with you that it does not matter what it weighs, still great to get a fish like that in the boat

blacksportsman
    Fridley, MN

Thanks, everyone. It was sure nice to have a fish like that on the line again

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.