Do you have to see fish?

• Flathead Fever
    robbinsdale mn

So, just wondering how many catfisher’s will look for fish on the sonar and only drop a line when they find fish. How many people just look for a good spot and then fish it to see what happens? I tend to find a spot and just fish it with good results on some days, and poor on other days. I would like to change up my game plan this year and put a 998 si to work for me with hopes that I will be able to see fish better this year before I drop a line. I have an Elite 5 dsi now and we all know that it marks structure good and not fish. Like everyone else I have limited time on the water and want to be more productive. What do you do?

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I use the depth finder mostly for depth/structure. Catfish are good at hiding, and will follow scent trails a long way, so seeing fish isn’t a big thing.

What you want for that Elite 5 when you are done with it Jesse?

Flathead Fever
    robbinsdale mn

Sorry Doug I already sold it. We still have to hook up this year. I have yet to catch a big flathead. I think I have to spend more time on the MN over by Jordan Belle Plaine.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Little known fact, Pug lives in Golden Valley near the Robbinsdale border.

Flathead Fever
    robbinsdale mn

Little known fact, Jesse lives in Robbinsdale near the Golden Valley boarder. Jesse also has an open seat here and there.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ve heard the Pug jinx is just a myth. I heard he actually brings good luck to those fishing with him. And he is good on the net.

Flathead Fever
    robbinsdale mn

My friends say that my boat is Jesse’s guide service… everyone but me catches fish on my boat. So if your working the net, that means that im catching the fish.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Ralph lives in Crystal near the Robbinsdale border…for now.

Oh, I thought we were just talking about where we live.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Little known fact, Pug lives in Golden Valley near the Robbinsdale border.

Your profile says that you live in Richfield…

dbright
    Cambridge

If you decide to go with the 998 I just ordered one tonight for 1199 free shipping and no tax. I wasn’t able to find anything near that price around town unless it was used or a demo.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

On the Missisippi I’v found channel cats using Structure Scan…of course I don’t know for certain they’re channels until I have one in the boat.

Flatheads are tough. I’ve seen wintering fish on Sidescan and Downscan because I know that’s what I’m looking at. I can’t say I’ve ever picked out a flat using any of the sonar options.

I’ve fished with good and bad luck in some very odd places because I’ve found structure that looks flatheady by using the SideScan option though.

Flathead Fever
    robbinsdale mn

Thanks Brian. And let me guess, you live near a Robbinsdale boarder

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Your profile says that you live in Richfield…

I have stalkers…and not the good kind.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Thanks Brian. And let me guess, you live near a Robbinsdale boarder

Nope, not me. I guide out of Everts Resort all the way to the East of the State.

…and no Pug, I don’t have an open seat.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I have stalkers…and not the good kind.

The Robert John Bardo type??? I can see that.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I use mine to find the submergent vegetation I am looking for with current on it. If you looked for fish here you would never be fishing in the right spots.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

When seeking out flatheads i use my SI:

To find underwater structure
    To find Baitfish
    And to find the best combination of both in a stretch of river

Big fish stick out in barren water (i.e. sturgeon on mud) But it’s pretty hard to identify a fish sitting in a log pile.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

FYI….Never caught fish with Pug. Just Ralph.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Why, why cruel world!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Grew up in Robbinsdale, lived in Crystal, went to school in Golden Valley, Pug, I got an open seat for ya
    I like to keep things even in my boat, nobody catches fish, you’ll fit right in.

Captainbrad
    Red River of the North

I like a combination of the two when unsure of where fish are. I run humminbird for what it is worth. If I know the pattern the fish are on I just watch the water and fish like locations. If I am not sure I will look at a structure to mark fish to see if it is even worth stopping.

I much prefer to have a pattern working and fish fast but sometimes is just takes more time and thought using the technology to locate them and have better success or at least establish the pattern.

Bullet21XD

Step straight into the HBird 360. The catfish won’t stand a chance!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.