I am thinking about trying for some whiskered fish

• iowa roger
    North central Iowa

I know lakes and streams around here have some cats in them of various sizes.
    I am wondering if they ever bite soft plastics fished slowly on the bottom ?
    I have plenty of lures and stuff for bass and panfishing, my wifey likes to fish with worms and catches some bullheads and an occasional cat. I am thinking of joining her and trying for some cats.
    I see others catching them, not great size but more eating size. I love fried catfish too.
    I am wondering about getting some smelly bait and big hooks and giving it a whirl.
    As I recall you fish on the bottom. As a kid I used to catch bullheads in a farm pond and they were very good at swallowing the hook and boy was it a job to get it out.
    Any advise would be appreciated.

As I recall when hooked these fish hang to the bottom and fight like all get out.

Thanks for reading,

Iowa Roger

slipbobnick
    MN

lately I’ve been having good luck fishing leeches under a slipbobber for the cats.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Last couple times I have been out FRESH cut bait has produced where some frozen cut has not. Chubs, suckers on a circle hook with a shorter lead about 8″. Tricky cats nowadays they have been taking the bait and heading to shore making me think the sinker is just moving in the current, until I reel in on it and bam fish.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.