“How to” post – bullheads / cats…

• whittsend

I’m guessing there is already a “how to” post for fishing bullies… Can one of you provide a link if one exists?

— Also, will channels hit bullheads, or is it mostly just a flathead thing?

Thanks!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Small split shot to hold bottom and #6 octopus works good for me with a pinch of crawler. First fish I got on a bullhead was about a 8-9# channel. Very fun the number of possible species you can catch with a bullie.

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Channels will hit a bully occasionally, but I wouldn’t use them if you are fishing channel cats. In my opinion you will be missing out on 95% of the channels you would have caught if you were using cut bait, small live bait, shrimp, stink bait,etc. When a channel does hit a bully it’s usually a nice one though.

whittsend

Cut bait… Like a cut up filet of bullhead??

I’ll be fishing a lake in ~ 1 month that I know has some decent channels. (No flats as far as I know) and I also know where to get unlimited supplies of small bullheads.

As far as laws, I’ll check the regs… But what is the quick and dirty law synopsis for MN bullhead use?

THANKS!

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

I use cut sucker and chub almost exclusively because in my experience it puts the highest number of cats in the boat. I know some have used cut bullies but I don’t. You got my curiosity up a bit with your comment on your access to “small” bullies. You may want to bring some with you, they may work.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Whiskerkev is your man for lake channel cat theory.

I would tell you to stay away from bullheads when fishing for channels. Like has been said before, use your smellier baits as that is how channels are designed. Flatheads hunt more by vibration, which is why strong live baits like bullies work well for them.

whittsend

I’ve caught cats on this lake from docks that sit along shallow weed-choked shorelines… I’ll have my boat out there this time… Would it be worth hanging a bully/stinkbait below a big float and cast into the shoreline (we’ve caught them before in that manner, but using worms as bait… we sorted through a lot of sheephead that way…), or would you always go with an anchored setup, never using a float?

Sorry, not much of a cat guy, but it would be fun to get into a few. There are some pretty good sized ones in that lake. Sounds like fun, especially if we can get the kids into a couple.

Potential for musky in that lake also, I suppose… Possibly would hit a bullhead, similar to sucker fishing for musky…

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

These guys know much more than myself when it comes to the kitties but I would suggest cut bait, stink bait, or worms during the day to keep those kids entertained, then throw out a bullie at night for that BIG fish!

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Quote:

Cut bait… Like a cut up filet of bullhead??

I’ll be fishing a lake in ~ 1 month that I know has some decent channels. (No flats as far as I know) and I also know where to get unlimited supplies of small bullheads.

As far as laws, I’ll check the regs… But what is the quick and dirty law synopsis for MN bullhead use?
    THANKS!

Page 15, MN 2013 Fishing Regulations:
    Up to 100 bullheads, 7-10 inches in length, may be taken and possessed for use as live bait. Legal methods of taking include dip net, angling or minnow seines. Live bullheads must be transported in a container with a locking lid to prevent escape. These bullheads are considered part of the possession limits on pages 35, 68-73, and 75-76. Bullheads less than 7 inches in length are considered minnows and fall under those regulations.

I use small bullheads for cut bait all the time and they will catch you channel cats as well as any other form of cut bait. I like small bullheads because they are easy to get and easy to use. Just take a scissors and cut them right behind the head and then snip off the tail – they are very bloody and make an excellent scent trail in the water. If you can get small bullheads get them – they are hardy and stay alive with minimal maintenance – Great Bait!! Here are some pics of cutting them up.

whittsend

Good reply, thanks Steve!

Any pics on how you rig them up? I’m sure its not overly complicated, but I’d be interested in what terminal tackle you go with.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Quote:

Good reply, thanks Steve!

Any pics on how you rig them up? I’m sure its not overly complicated, but I’d be interested in what terminal tackle you go with.

The most commonly used rig for channel cats is the “Slip Sinker Rig”. Just google “Slip Sinker Rig” and you will find YouTube videos and websites that show how to rig it. I’ve been using a variation of that rig called a “Santee Rig” and been having good luck with it. I did a post back on 17 December that shows the rig in action. Just read back through the forum to find it. Most rigs are a matter of personal preference and confidence in what you are doing. Most everything you need to know is out there on the web – just spend some time doing some research and most of your questions will get answered.

Almericus

I hate hate handling the little guys because they are so quick. Do you guys ever snip of their spines when you use them live? How long can I keep them alive after doing that?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.