Catfish logging from another view

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

For those of you that wanted to help in the catfish diaries but didn’t for one reason or another…I have a question for you.

Would it have made a difference/helped if you would have been required to just send in an email as the fish were caught? No “log” so to speak, just an email with certain information like…

Date-time-body of water-length-girth-bait-(shore or boat)-closest mile marker-hours fished- ect.

As long as the angler had the information needed with them, the info could be sent via smart phone at anytime..right on the water if they like…even attach a photo.

Most everyone has email on their phones and it can be completed while still waiting for the next bite.

Just a thought and welcoming any and all opinions.

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Can you still do it or is it done for the year? I have no idea what it is but it sounds interesting.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Jiggin, I don’t know if the books are available any longer. You’ll have to contact Joel for that info. However here’s a link to a post that Josh started that has the Excel spreed sheet in it.

Link<

I’m sure the DNR would appreciate any info given…no matter when.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

There are a couple things that would make a difference for me.

Being able to send an email per fish would help, for sure… especially if I could put length, girth, weight, bait, and body of water in the subject line and let the email time stamp take care of the date and time.

And remembering that logging is crucial to the conservation effort so I need to log every fish would help too… but that’s nothing to do with anyone but my own brain. I should back-log the ones that I remember, actually.

If I were to do that, to whom shouldi send the emails?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Here’s Joel’s email

[email protected]

What about text messaging? Voice Mail? AND email?

Just asking.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Omg texting it in would be freaking incredible and would majorly increase the likelihood of me reporting.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

There is a time component that would be missing. It helps with their data if they know how long you fished an area. Also missing would be trips where you didn’t catch anything, again, just as important.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Date-time-body of water-length-girth-bait-(shore or boat)-closest mile marker-hours fished- ect.

That’s where the “ect” comes in. I’m not so much worried about WHAT info is provided, more about that it’s provided.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Quote:

I bet Joel is concerned what is provided. I am just saying that if this approach was taken, people should be mindful of logging skunks and time fished.

That’s where the “ect” comes in. I’m not so much worried about WHAT info is provided, more about that it’s provided.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I bet Joel is concerned what is provided. I am just saying that if this approach was taken, people should be mindful of logging skunks and time fished.

Certainly.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Bk – I created a google spreadsheet for my group of buddies with a “Live Entry Form” that can be accessed either via your cell phone or internet.

Every time we catch a fish we enter it into the spreadsheet.

It’s definitely a much easier option that having a paper journal in the boat.

If this would help Joel at all I could provide 2.5 years of data on 4 fisherman.

Also – this would be a free cheap way for a better “tracker.”

Maybe something to look into.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

If you do that remove the “where it was caught” section.

That does seem to be an issue for many folks. Although the data provided does become public info, the “where it was caught” section does not. The DNR does need at least the closest mile marker and on what river.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

We have a couple different sections:

Fisherman

Source

Body of Water

Specific Location

City

Species

Bait Used

Date

Time

Length

Girth

Water Temps

Weight – If it is a flat head it refers to the flat head weight conversion chart and estimates the weight

Since specific location is just a name we made up for the spot that refers to my GPS – I doubt it would matter either way.

For example on p4 they would all be called “BK’s spot #1” etc. LOLOL

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Oh NO! How did that secret get out!?

Jacob, shoot Joel an email. I’m sure he would be interested in the info.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Everyone wouldn’t have to use Jakob’s. He could just make clean copies available and then your spots are safe.

moosemj
    Fox River, NE IL

I looked at the spreadsheet that they made up and in my opinion it is asking for way to much information to make it very practicle to use. Keep it simple and the information is easier to collect.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I looked at the spreadsheet that they made up and in my opinion it is asking for way to much information to make it very practicle to use. Keep it simple and the information is easier to collect.

It may not be practical, but it is the info that they need. But you could alter it to whatever you want. I am sure at this point, any log is better than none.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.