Tuesday’s catfish is meek and mild…

• armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

…and brining in the cooler on the porch.

We shall see what 24-36 hours in brown sugar and salt water will do for an 8# channel cat. I had more meat than we could eat at once and I refuse to freeze fish anymore since, for some reason, it never seems to make it back out to the pan.

I hope to get pics of the process as it goes along… that is, if I remember.

Cross you fingers.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

How many people will an 8 pounder feed?

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

On average I find there’s about a 3:1 ratio between overall weight and fillet weight on about any kind of fish, but specifically on channel cats. So an 8.8 lb channel cat should yield just under 3 lb of fillets.

So your question prompted me to go actually weight the fillets. Keep in mind they’ve been off the fish since yesterday AM, so they’ve lost some mass in terms of water, but the 2 biggest fillets were right around 1#6, so 2#12 together is just under 3#, as expected.

Now when I cook them up in the fryer, I cut off the skin side fat and cut out the lateral line, so figure just a bit more loss… probably about 2#8 altogether. Now consider that a double quarter pounder from McDonalds is 2 4-oz patties (pre-cooked) and you get an idea of how many people an 8# channel cat will feed.

I’m guessing it’d probably be a decent meal for 4 people if there were veggies and a salad?

That was probably more answer than you wanted, but since you asked and all, yanno?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Ido, learning more here by accident then at other places by design.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.