bank poles

• toddcarnes
    Milan IL

does anyone know where to get some type of a fiberglass rod solid , one piece, 8 to 10 ft long, to use for putting out bank poles , i know alot of guys use pvc and willows but thats not realy what iam after, looking for something reasonably priced enough for 10 or 12 of them ,, something about 3/8diameter,,, would be curious to hear of other things that guys use also

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Where’s ol’ Mossy when we need him?

Tony, you’ll have to snap a photo of you and your fishing buddy setting out some poles some time…or with a flat. That would be even better.

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

lol,,, ill do that this weekend when we get some fish,

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

does anyone know where to get some type of a fiberglass rod solid , one piece, 8 to 10 ft long, to use for putting out bank poles , i know alot of guys use pvc and willows but thats not realy what iam after, looking for something reasonably priced enough for 10 or 12 of them ,, something about 3/8diameter,,, would be curious to hear of other things that guys use also

I have a couple telescopic rods that are 10 or 12 foot. Don’t use them myself…can’trt even recall where they came from. I know one is a Browning siliflex. You can pm me if interested.

redneck
    Rosemount

Ahhh bank poles!!!! It has been a long time since I heard that term and I feel like I am back home in southern Illinois. Mossy and his ditty poles was close but bank poles are what we always called them. Just like noodling is Hogging in southern Illinois. As far as poles go—-we always went out and cut some cane poles and I think we let them dry out before we used them. There are cane breaks in southern Illinois but it seems like it is hard to find any where the poles are much over 6 or 8 feet tall. Good luck in your search and thanks for the memories!!!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’m here Brian and have been working alot,,,I’ll try to help ya Todd. Theres a glass company here in town that sells mainly glass products, windows, mirrors etc. They also sell some of the fibreglass products like resins, cloth and matting etc. Maybe look for a glass company in your area that sells fibreglass products, I’m thinking that they might have a cataloge with other fibreglass products in it, try there.

The maulberry trees are ripening right now and the catfish are biteing. If you have any maulberry trees along the river there set your poles right below those trees, catfish love maulberries and is the only place I know where you can catch catfish on fruit or a bare hook.

blakeb
    MN

what the heck is a bank pole?

josh_eats_kitties

Might try some bamboo poles, they’re all over right now being the beginning of gardening season (Fleet Farm/Menards/Gurtens ect)

sethredington

there is a place i order my fiberglass poles from and they have 3 warehouses it is KENCOVE FARM FENCE SUPPLIES Customer Support
    Mon-Thurs 7:00am – 6:00pm (EST), Fri 7:00am – 5pm (EST)
    Saturday 8:00am – 12:00pm (PA warehou call them or look for electric fence rods i buy them and last fall i bout 250 6ft poles and they were $2.52 a piece and i live in central illinoise and we call em bank poles too and i hog fish and turtles and have since i was young send me a message and i show u how we make brackets to attacke the poles to trees and long jams

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Listen too 404 or use willow limbs, they ought to be anywhere along the rivers up north. Willowlimbs are free along the rivers if you can find them, and it doesn’t matter if thier green or dry.

amhodson
    NULL

We use golf flag poles from the golf course. just cut the bottom off and unscrew the flag and put your line at the top. works great

Tom Chatterton

Hi, My name is Tom from West central IL. I bank pole the Mississippi and Spoon River. I saw your comment on bank pole and how to attach to trees and logs. Also interest5ed in where you get your bank poles. We have been using 5′ pole, but I think I would like change to longer poles. Thanks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.