Deeply Hooked Flatheads and Channels

• moosemj
    Fox River, NE IL

A few years back my brother in law/fishing partner picked up a D-Gouger which is a hook removing tool they use in saltwater fishing. We have used it on several occasions and it is awesome! This is the best answer for deeply hooked fish that I have seen so far. Theoretically this tool could remove a hook that is in past the sphincter in the throat because it has a barrier that hided the point of the hook once it is in the saddle and popped out. Here is one link I found.

http://www.thefishgripandmore.com/product/dgouger

I have used it several times where I only see the eye of the hook and retrieved the hook quickly and easily while releasing the fish unharmed. I have two in my boat and have given friends several others. Curious your thoughts.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I have designed one that works on single and stinkbait worm trebles and have used and tested it and not bragging but it works even better then this one. I’m talking to a guy about funding right now, if he funds it I will file for a patent and begin making them. To put in a plug for it, they work pretty darned good and are made from stainless and very very sturdy for big flatheads. If some things were only a simpler process.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

How long is it Moose? The trouble I’ve had with de hookers is they are too short to get back in the throat unless the cat is large enough to get my whole fist in it’s mouth. (Yes, against popular belief, I do catch small fish every once in a while LOL!)

Either way, for $9. I would try one. Cutting the hook is good, removing it completely is much better in my world.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Mossy, I was thinking of yours, but the hook rehooks itself.

Quote:

because it has a barrier that hided the point of the hook once it is in the saddle and popped out.

moosemj
    Fox River, NE IL

It is 14 and 1/4″ long, plenty long. I used to cut the hooks to until I found this thing.

Can’t wait to see your model Mossy! I’m always looking for improved products.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’ve changed the design quite a bit Brian, wait till you see this one because the one I sent you was in the begining stages, I’ll send one fairly soon and won’t forget and still have your address, its all in the works with this guys funding because I can’t put the cart befor the horse. By the way hes been killing the 2 1/2 to 6lb channels on the Wapsi river with leopard frogs, they hit it once and head for deeper water, they have been fishing 3′ to 4′ deep water outside of 4′ to 8′ holes next to sunken trees so thier definately going shallow to eat.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ll have to get a pair. I always prefer releasing to eating. And I really prefer releasing without any hardware attached.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

I only eat the big girls.

With a handle like wildbeaver I believe ya

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

I’ll have to get a pair.

You can say that again!
    Oh, wait, you weren’t talking about testicles, were you?

moosemj
    Fox River, NE IL

I know they have them at Catfish Connection for like $7.

BK I don’t think Team Catfish has these, but they should. I gave Denny one either last year or two years ago, hope he’s getting some use out of it too.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Quote:

Quote:

I only eat the big girls.

With a handle like wildbeaver I believe ya

How did you get in this four Bret? I thought you were still writing up ice fishing posts

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

You can say that again!
    Oh, wait, you weren’t talking about testicles, were you?

Sure, take shots at me on your birthday.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’m like you Beav, you can’t eat them all but you can eat a few, especially when it doesn’t hurt the local population. From below the gills on down is the best, from there up is too oily, especially in the warmer months…

skunkboy
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I could see this working…by the way the picture looks, but my only question would be is it big enough to use with say a 10/0 hook? It looks like the barb might still be exposed and get hooked up again after you start to pull it out of the gut.

Mossydan, how is yours different? A bigger head maybe? I remember the old red plastic disengorgers when I was younger…I think they still sell them. They works pretty well, even for treble hooks but they too are too small for a 10/0 hook.

Been lucky so far this year, haven’t gut hooked any of the channel cats I’ve caught…yet. That’ll probably change once the flatheads start to bite.

L8R…Ken

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I really can’t say a whole bunch except they are designed specifically for catfish but will also work on other species. Theres a line guide on this dehooker similar to the one posted in the link above, to position the end of the dehooker where it has to be, next to the eye of the hook. I really can’t say too much because theres some pretty good designers out there, so I can’t say much other then thier made from stainless steel and are very ruggedly built and over and above my previous design and will pull hooks up to 10 ot. size. This same design will work on salt water species with even bigger hooks but the measurements have to be found out and made. Its impossible to make a one size dehooker that pulls hooks from the small mouths of bluegills and remove bigger hooks down the throat of big flatheads, plus many other ocean species. The design will be the same for the three sizes I’m planning on making, its just the size is diffrent, it should work great for ice fishermen but again was designed for catfish. In most unhooking situations the hook is close to the lips of the catfish and this is where this dehooker shines and dehooks very quickly. It also works very well in deeply hooked fishs throats, even where you can’t see the hook. It will take just a little practice to get it to work on deeply hooked fish but once you get it down it works very well.

I’m making some prototypes this Sunday for sending out to a few guys for thier feedback, then going to take that feedback to my funder. I’m going fishing up on the Wapsi river two weekends from now to fish for channels with my funder and going to show him how it works and hopefully if theres been enough time to get back a few reports from the guys who are going to try them, then take it from there.

I also have to draw up pictured drawings with a human hand useing this dehooker for an explaination along with worded instructions to send with the prototypes. Theres a heck of alot of work involved once a guy finds out what has to be done to get something, even simple, going.

moosemj
    Fox River, NE IL

I use it for 6/0 hooks and it works great, don’t know how big you can go.

katfish
    Ohio

I guess I am fortunate that most of my flathead are large
    enough to remove the hook by hand. My flathead typically
    engulf baitssuffocate them in their stomach.

I use 5/0 kahle hooks and most of the time they slip out of the bait and the flatheads stomach and stick in the corner of the mouth.

On the occasions when the fish are hooked deeply we can put our whole hand down the throats and remove the hooks. I assume there is not much damage.

Here is a pic of one fish that was hooked in the stomach
    that I caught 6 weeks later. He seemed healthy on both occasions.

I always hoppe that my flathead are larger and especially if they are hooked deep.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.