To Click or Not to Click…

• moosemj
    Fox River, NE IL

I didn’t want to hijack the other post, but I noticed that a lot of you use clickers, am I the only one that doesn’t use a clicker? I always tightline them unless I don’t have my rod secure in a holder. I don’t like the idea of giving them the ability to take line freely and get me into any kind of snags. Not to mention the false alarms of larger bait fish and floating debris.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

My one clicker is quiet on the reel I use most, so a majority of the time I see the bites. Still, clickers are nice because I can enjoy the surrounds, instead of gazing at my rod tip.

I’ve never straight lined. That would be tough because I was taught pike fishing to let him take it and not set the hook until he stops.

clicker

Ill set my clicker 99.97% of the time. If I am close to lumber I might hold my rod and tight line it. But in my opinion id rather feed a fish some line to let it eat the bait thoroughly vs risk having it feel the hook and line instantly..

shawnil

I rarely set my clicker. Maybe if I thought the bite was so light (non-aggressive) that the fish would commit against just the resistance of my rods (which aren’t that heavy) I might use it. Or, I will occasionally use it on a rod I’m not closely watching or if I’m about to fall asleep.

But, in a lot of instances the bait is so close to cover that moving away more than a foot or two can mean losing a fish in the wood even with 80# power pro. That might only be taking the rod from the 11 o’ clock position to horizontal (9 o’clock). I’m using eagle claw wide-gap or Gama octopus (non-circle) hooks, which will usually result in a good hook up if a fish buries a rod in the holder.

So, I do pretty much have reels with clickers to have the option to use them. But, 90% of the time I’m flathead fishing I do not set the clicker. Pretty much never when I’m fishing channel cats.

I would add there are a lot of guys that use the clicker and have good success. Not using it has worked much better for me, but of course your mileage may vary!!!

ps: I just recognized the OP on this thread…a mutual fishing friend pretty much converted me over to the no clicker deal. He never uses his either – Denny Halgren.

stuart
    Mn.

I like the clicker for the instant rush of adrenilen(sp)that they give me when I am snoozing in the boat!
    I wish my alarm clock could have that sound.zip…… zip…. zip…… ziiiiiiiiiiiiing.

shawnil

Quote:

I wish my alarm clock could have that sound.zip…… zip…. zip…… ziiiiiiiiiiiiing.

Not a bad idea… or how about a ringtone. That wouldn’t be too hard to manage for the tech savvy guys out there…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I can see how and why some fish without using a line out alarm.

I’ve found that fishing 4 rods and with folks that aren’t as intense as most full blooded cat folk, it’s much better to have the sound of the clicker for the “HEY BK YOU’RE NOT PAYING ATTENTION” safety alarm.

Most of the time I’ll see the strike, many more times I’ll hear the strike without the clicker going…but there are quite a few times when I’m into a deep story about the days of yor or whatever that clicker has brought me back to fishing.

Generally I’ll turn the clicker off while thumbing the spool, lift the rod out of the holder and hand it to the client. They will then turn the handle and give ‘er smoke.

It’s worked well for me.

Channels and sturgeon? No clicker needed.

moosemj
    Fox River, NE IL

It’s funny, but everyone has their way and talking to them you would think their’s is the only way. I fish quite a bit with my brother in law and he will never tight line and uses the clicker exclusively where as I am the exact opposite yet we both end up putting fish in the boat.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I like to tie bells on

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I like to tie bells on

That’s because walleye’s don’t fight enough to pull line out.

Moose, Jeff is our resident walleye guy pot stirrer.

There’s only one thing that I can say for certain about cat fishing and that’s I learn something new every time out. Sometimes it’s Ma Nature teaching me and other times it’s the fishing partner.

As they say, there’s more than one way to skin a cat.

shawnil

Quote:

but there are quite a few times when I’m into a deep story about the days of yor or whatever that clicker has brought me back to fishing.

Boy can I totally relate to this. I can concentrate pretty good fishing by myself, but put another guy in the boat and it’s pretty easy to get distracted!!!

Quote:

As they say, there’s more than one way to skin a cat…

BK – Didn’t you mean catfish?!?

clicker

Yup! Do what works for your. Your post reminds me of people on these websites too. Except, when people read the posts they think their way is the only way

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I love to hear a good clicker run. I also think this has a lot to do with the water you are fishing. On the mighty Mississippi, you can use two rods each and this makes holding rods or tight lining very difficult.

Now guys who fish the MN river can only use one rod so holding one makes a lot of sense.

Different Strokes

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Quote:

Quote:

I like to tie bells on

That’s because walleye’s don’t fight enough to pull line out.

Moose, Jeff is our resident walleye guy pot stirrer.

I just may be a budding, Darknight ( Catfisherman)

Please do not disscourage me… I got a new set of bells for Christmas.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I got a new set of bells for Christmas.

Check your spelling.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Quote:

Quote:

I got a new set of bells for Christmas.

Check your spelling.

Why can’t you take me seriously

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Jeff, we fished together remember?

Besides, your Stradic’s don’t have clickers.

clicker

I will say one thing a clicker run does is wakes you up and makes you want to stay out later!

How many times have you thought about packing it in and then ZZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGg your clicker peels line. You end up staying out there two more hours!

I prefer to fish with people who have clickers. I have a few clicker sounds on my phone. It makes for a great time when things are slow in the boat!!! You should see em jump to their rods when they are snoozin.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Guess I’m going to have to do some recording with my phone…thanks Clicker.

I would love to feel a flat chomp one of these days.

clicker

I can send them to you on your phone or email too

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

My number is on my website…please?

Now don’t send me any of those weak sounding walleye pecks.

clicker

You Got Clickered!

palolo

Quote:

I will say one thing a clicker run does is wakes you up and makes you want to stay out later

TO CLICK..after watching my pole zigzag down the river I now always set my clicker..
    (I still wonder what was on the other end)

Clicker can u send me that ringtone

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

after watching my pole zigzag down the river

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Clicker

I would like the ring tone if you don’t mind.

clicker

Gimme some time. I am dealing with a nasty cold on my computer. I think I got the bugger gone though.

Time will tell.

daveho
    Cassville Wi missippi pool 11

I do it both ways. If I have enough room to let the fish run a bit I use the clicker. I love the sound and it does wake you up from a short nap.
    If I am fishing very close to the snag or strait up and down I tight line them. I have had some success both ways.
    Dave

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I guess for me, it depends on which equipment I am using. If the reel I am using has a clicker on it, I use it every time. If fishing flats with my biggest spinning reel, I’ll even loosen the drag up so I can get the ghetto ‘clicker’ sound out of it

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

…I’ll even loosen the drag up so I can get the ghetto ‘clicker’ sound out of it

LOL!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Know how it’s different strokes for different folks?

When channel cat fishing the FW pretty much always holds her fishing pole, while I would rather use the holders.

Using circles or Team Catfish’s double action hooks, it’s on auto pilot as they “set” themselves.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.