Cold Water Cats and Fiber Bait-Video

• trumar
    Rochester, Mn

That was cool

Next time give us a fair warning that your in the video

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I learned a lot about my Humminbird that day. It was very educational to see the camera on the graph and watch the fish come in and hover over and around the bait. Cool video BK

onestout
    Hudson, WI

That cat didn’t look old enough to be concerned about getting fiber in his diet.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

Next time give us a fair warning that your in the video

HA !!!!!!

moosemj
    Fox River, NE IL

Cool video! Have you ever been able to capture a video of a flathead taking a bait? That is something I would love to see some time.

stuart
    Mn.

I know thats a shot you’ve worked to get,nice video guys!
    Heres somthing to think about.A solid year of high water,lots of wood got moved around,holes got scoured out and sand bars shifted around.Where are all those concentrated monster flats sleeping this winter?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

He smacked it like the water was 75 degrees!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Stuart, you know Hootch from 4 Seasons? I didn’t see it, but he said he had a 58 pounder near the dam Saturday. We were to busy chasing those scaly things to drop the camera down.

Quote:

Cool video! Have you ever been able to capture a video of a flathead taking a bait? That is something I would love to see some time.

Moose, when the water is clear enough on the ‘sippi to get a good shot, the flats are dormant. I’ve tried to attach a bullhead to the camera, but the darn thing keeps swimming around into the darkness. I’m afraid with the cameras that are available today, if we could get a flat to bite in front of a camera all we would see is it’s tonsils. LOL!

Did you see the live sucker Jesse and I placed in front of a few sleeping flats last winter? Kinda boring.

team catfish
    Grove, Oklahoma

Brian I guarantee thats a FIRST in the world of fiber bait and maybe manufactured bait.

My hats of to you and the effort you put into this!

Very, Very cool

Thanks…..

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I learned a lot about my Humminbird that day. It was very educational to see the camera on the graph and watch the fish come in and hover over and around the bait.

An awesome side benefit for sure!

Seeing the size on the graph, then knowing which of the marks was hooked and ultimately the fish in the hand.

It helps take “is that a fish?” out of the equation!

stuart
    Mn.

Hootch has cought enough big fish to do a damn good guesstiment.I think you can get a 65+ on video this winter with the water the way it is.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I wish he would have hollered at us. Love to get a snapshot.

I do think you’re right. Low water and low flow is going to make some good video…not to mention I’m going to get some FISHING in this year.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Pretty neat Brian and good eating size, he inhaled the Sudden Impact fibre bait and in cold water too, I’d use it.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I’m surprised no one noticed the walleye or sauger swim by at about 20-25 seconds into the video

palolo

Nice clip ..so that sudden impact stays on the hook and doesn’t come off like chicken liver? And I noticed it was at 20ft so catfish go deeper in the winter?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Morning Palolo,

Sudden Impact is a stink bait (or dip bait) that has fiber added to it. Think of cottenwood seeds. Once the fiber is added, it’s now called a “punch bait”.

By taking a bare treble and “punching” it in the bait, the fibers hold the bait to the hook. Even in the hot summer months it stays on the hook longer than traditional dip baits.

Nothing wrong with chicken liver but Sudden Impact will stay on the hook much better when casting.

Deeper seems to be the preferred areas. Where we fish I haven’t seen them in less than 20-25 fow.

redneck
    Rosemount

Your cottonwood seed remark reminded me that when I was a kid we would use stink bait and take cat tail fluff and mix into it to give it more holding power—-I guess I should have pattented the idea. I would also like to say that it is nice having a young lady that has an interest in fishing like Palola and welcome her here.

palolo

Thanks guys..just one more question does sudden impact smell bad like kingkat catfish bait. I swore I would never use anything so smelly again..(gags)

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

LOL! Yeah, well chicken liver does have it’s advantages!

So you’re saying you don’t like the smell of cheesy vomit?

Yeah, smells the same.

The FW wouldn’t let me use stink bait while she was in the boat for a few years. I forgot about it and if the fish are biting, I think she does too.

palolo

I can handle cheesy vomit and rotting fish/animal odor but that stink bait smell ughhh. oh well bait of the day is chicken liver.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.