Mottled Flathead?

• swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

I caught this little guy this weekend. First Flathead of the year. When I first saw it I thought it was a bullhead then I saw the flat head and lower jaw. I’ve seen pictures of bullheads with this marking, but never a flat head. I guess these markings may fade as the fish matures? Would make a cool looking 40 lb adult.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

That’s a blue cat Joe, duh.

Seriously, cool to see them when they are that small! Nice first flat of the year!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

He already has the belly of a 50+!

Young flats are way cool looking!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

i believe that is the coloration of those little guys. My first flathead was about the same size and had the exact same markings. They must fade with time.

I said it before, but when I caught mine, I had no idea there were flatheads in Minnesota.

denver
    farmington,mn

caught this one on Thursday look like little brother.

skunkboy
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I think that’s their normal color…for life. Every one that I have ever caught has been that molted color, then after being in the boat for a while and geting stressed, they turn yellow or at least lighter in color.

I really like those little guys…they’re just so darn cute. They really do look like miniature flatheads. Channels that small just seem kinda ugly to me. They are always spindelly and scrawny looking to me…but not a Flattie.

Of course, I like the big Flatties too. Not so cute, but brutally cat fishy looking.

L8R…Ken

moosemj
    Fox River, NE IL

Most of the juvenile flats also have a lighter white or yellow tip to their tail. Very cool looking though!

swollen-goat
    Nicolet County

Even though it was just a little bugger, it did bump my multi-specie tally for the year to 18. Not much for monster cats this year, but I kinda made up for it in variety and quantity.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.