Chicken Hearts

• catman87
    Cannon Falls, MN

What do you guys think bout using chicken hearts for something diffrent, anyone ever try them? Yeah I have to butcher chickens in this hot [censored] [censored]!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Chicken Hearts are the best part of dumpling soup

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

wow, even in this heat that dumpling soup sounds good…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Chicken Hearts

Everyone is ripping on Pug today!

Shrimp left in a plastic container in the sun until it bulges.
    Chicken livers
    Spam
    Hot dog pieces
    cheese

are all magic baits to someone.

If you have them use them…I’m lucky enough to have the FW stop at KFC once in a while.

Shameless plug…for channel cats

or

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’ve used them in the past and didn’t get any hits. It could have been an off night but I won’t go out of my way to buy them to recheck. I think thier probably like gizzards, not nearly as good as livers.

Take a tub or tray of fresh livers and mix in some garlic powder and let them sit in the sun. They will partially bake and get more soild and stay on the hook a little better. Its the best recepie for livers I know of and they do work.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Semi microwaving is faster….or so I’ve heard.

catman87
    Cannon Falls, MN

Ok so I got livers too, what’s the best way to hook up the chicken livers with some type of bag, mesh, or screen? I’ve never tried it before and I’m going Thursday!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

BK – I had one of my best days with fresh shrimp left out in the sun for the whole previous day in a baggie.

I don’t see why chicken hearts wouldn’t work if there were channels in the area.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Take apart the two halves breaking or cutting the tendon that holds both sides together. Usually the edge facing away from the tendon area is the firmist and I insert the hook in there and do that about 3 times gently weaving the hook in and out of the firmist area in the liver. When throwing a guy is supposed to lob the liver into the area he wants to fish, you never want to throw it hard because the liver eighter comes off or it tears away from the hook and the fish will be able to take it off the hook easier. I use a no.1 too about a 3 ot. being the biggest for liver. Theres nothing wrong with wadeing out and useing a big slip bobber and letting it drift just over the bottom, at times this can be a killer method covering more ground.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I had one of my best days with fresh shrimp left out in the sun for the whole previous day in a baggie.

Some big fish have been caught on that…makes stink bait smell like fine french perfume. On the second day in the sun it makes stink smell like freshly mown grass in spring.

RE: Chicken Liver- I wasn’t kidding about microwaving it. Just enough to start firming it up.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Im going to remember that BrianK, good advice!

jakefroyum

I accidentally bought chicken hearts instead of livers one time. I did pretty good on them so I used them a few more times. One nice thing is that they stay on the hook. I’d probably go with cutbait before any of the chicken parts though.

stuart
    Mn.

I think Bill Cosby used chicken hearts for bait.I know he put something about them on an album years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.