Catfishing pool 9

• bseiser

I moved to pool 9 area about 4 years ago and fish the river alot for bass and walleye, but i havent ever gotten into the catfish. I used to fish them alot in a smaller river where i lived before, im just lookin for some tips of places to try either wing dams or fast holes, slow moving cuts or logs, just kind of looking for suggestions, also usually use live bait, cut bait or stink bait. thanks in advance for the help,

DrewH
    s/w WI.

I usually fish the snags or lay downs in about 3 to 5 fow using stink bait.

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

Welcome to IDO ~

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Pool 9 has it all. I used to have a house boat there. You don’t say what kind of cats you are after. You can catch channel cats just about anywhere on 9. fish wood with moderate current on them, washout holes behind wingdams or even faces of wing dams. They will eat anything that can be used for channel cats. Prepared bait, cut bait, stink bait, balls of crawlers. You’ll want at least a medium weight rod for those guys and pay attention or your rods will fly out of the boat. If you are after bigger fish the flathead cat is there in numbers including the Wisconsin state record. They rest in deep holes and like overhead cover and feed more at night in areas near their resting holes. You’ll want to use live bait for the big ones. bluegills are legal in Wisconsin and my preferred bait. They also like a nice lively bullhead. You’ll need heavy action rods and stout line from 65lb braid to 80 is generally used. Good luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.