Catfish on Pool 9

• mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

First of all I have absolutely no idea if there will be any safe way across the ice tommorrow.

Anyway walleye and perch, ( see our posts under their Mississippi forums) were slow in the middle of the day and the catfish took their place. We caught about 25 in 3 hours… about equally divided between foul hooked and bait and hook in their mouth. We let them all go anyway. 4 or 5 over 10 lbs… with largest reaching from about the shoulder to the fingertips. A helper had all he could do to mouth it and drag it up through the 10 inch hole. They were all caught on jig with whole large minnow… one literally grabbed the minnow/lure so hard and flew away I’m surprised it didn’t snap my line… it bit so hard that I thought I had a massive walleye on and it was a real chore to get the treble hook out of its mouth.

Not really sure if it’s a big part of their diet, but several of them were spitting up potato chip size shad. Maybe one day next week I will use heaver tackle with a heavier jig and a big shiner and see how I can do.

Anyway you look at it catching them on panfish weight BT rods with 2-4 lb test on was a blast. CAN YOU SAY BACK REEL!!!! I HAVE NEVER BACK REELED SO MUCH IN ONE DAY IN MY WHOLE LIFE

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m assuming channels Lawrence?

They are fighters through the ice!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.