Pool 8 Channel Cats 8/10/08

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

River stage 4.56

Flow 13,500

77 degree surface temp.

With a fellow IDO member planning a trip to La Crosse for some channel cat action out of my boat I have been as nervous as a chicken wondering how the heck to get to the other side of the road The trip has been planed since last year and we have postponed it once already. I don’t want to do it again knowing things are not going to get any better.

I have been from one end of pool 8 to the other looking for quality size channel cats, guess I should have been to the other end sooner

With a few hours to kill this morning a run to a wing dam for bait was in first order, by 8:00am the focus was back on the channel cats. An air temp of 60 degrees and a water temp of only 77 degrees did not make for a positive attitude until 10 minutes into the first drift, an under water freight train must have been going by and I was hooked up to the engine. In short order the leader must have been dragged across something sharp which put an abrupt end to what was turning into a good battle.

A new leader was snapped on and the drift took a whole new meaning for me now I found there to be some good sized fish hanging on the main channel edge in 15fow just off to the sides of a couple clam beds. The 2 clam beds scouted around today produced good fish. I didn’t hang around to long hoping these fish will still be willing to play when company shows up! If they do stay around….make sure to have your equipment in good working order company

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.