Pool 8 Channel Cats R Slow

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I am struggling this year trying to find double digit channel cats. Last night, 8/06/08 was no different. The river stage is just right at 4.99 with a flow of 17,600 but the water temp is dropping again being at 77 degrees.

The skinny waters, being side channels and sloughs, were dead so I moved back out to the main channel. The shad are starting to show up along the tips of wing dams and the channel edge and this is where I did find some action. Nothing worthy of the time and struggle to get the camera out on my own though

The night gave up only 3 channel cats for me, a 22, 23 and 25 inch fish were caught on cut baits all coming off the main channel while drifting.
    There are a lot of fiddlers along the wing dams but were did the biggin’s go?

Even with the slow action it is always a good time on the water after the sun goes down. A busy pool 8 by day light turns into a ghost town at night, and everything looks bigger in the dark. After pulling out of the way and watching the second barge methodically make its way past at 10:30am I had enough and headed for the landing. The goose bumps that covered my body in the cool night air were not a good sign for seeing the water temp come up at all in the near future.

Oh well, gotta keep trying…..one of these nights my boat will stumble across the big girls, I hope
    Good luck fishing people

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.