Mississippi River Pool 8 Drifting Cats 7/9/2008

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

It finally happened, I was able to get out of an evening and try the drifting bite joined by good friend Blue Fleck.
    I was liking the way things looked with the river stage at 5.36 and a flow of 32,000 but, I would like to see the water temperature come up another 5 degrees to heat up the bite.

We experienced a lot more tugs than hook ups. I had a feeling after the first area we drifted without a bite, things were going to be tough. This spot is normally great to warm up on using circle hooks with a lot of 4-8lb channel cats but not to be on this night

The next area drifted was a slough with anywhere from 5-15fow.
    The bites were coming from the deeper portions. After a few baits were stolen we moved out to the main channel hugging the edge, then it finally happened

My cut was slammed and then I thought it was dropped but the sign of my line passing up the boat was evidence of a fish. After reeling up the slack and a good sweep with the rod the circle hook connected and the pole was doubled over and the sound we all love…..DRAG, put a big smile on my face. The first cat of the year while drifting was this 29 inch flathead caught out of 18fow and showing signs of the spawn. The battle was a blast, after a few quick pictures the fish was released and left me covered in water and Blue laughing

After positioning the boat back up river to drift the spot again this small channel cat was the next victim to fall prey to cut bait. Both fish were just before 9 o’clock and thoughts of a good night pumped through my head, guess I shouldn’t think

We headed off the water at 10 o’clock with Blue Fleck having one other slam after the action. It was a slow night but it did feel good to be back out on the water and playing for a while after dark It won’t be long and the night drift should just get better. Like I mentioned, another 5 degree warm up would be a big help.

It was a blast Blue Fleck, thanks for jumping in the boat

Good luck fishing people
    Bret

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.