fall flats

• tccat
    Minneapolis, MN.

Hey guys, any special tactics or habitat suggestions for fall flatheads?

Thanks, Dan

waldog10

I would suggest right below any of the dams. Use a three way and a sucker or bluegill. Here’s the two biggest we got over the weekend. One is 49# and the other is 28#. Probably caught and released 25-30 total in two days.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Wow, nice fish and during the day to boot! You fishing right in the scour holes under the dam? 25-30? Niice! Thanks for sharing. And that thing looks bigger than 49#!

rollin
    Twin Cities, MN

I went out the other day to catch some Channels. I set up on the tail end of a deeper hole I suppose I was fishing in 15′ of water. Ended up getting a nice 37″ flathead right off the bat. Thought maybe I’ll switch to a bigger hook (was using 3/0 and cut shad) but then figured it was a fluke. Well, to make a long story short ended up catching 4 nice flatheads there during the day off of cut shad(didn’t have any live bait to try). One of the strangest days fishing I’ve had this year. Yeah, no channels either…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Hmmm, maybe you guys are onto a pattern here. Fall flatheads during the day in their deep holes and under dams! I like the sound of that.

waldog10

Yes, It’s definetly a fall pattern. We have been doing this for about five years now. It gets good when the water temp is in the mid 60’s and colder.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

What section of water are you fishing?

I have picked up a few in the past in similar situations, but always figured it was a fluke. I may need to explore this a little more. Nice Fish

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Nice Cats!! I too would be interested in hearing more details. This 3-way rig with live bait in the scour holes below dams is a common technique to catch Blue’s and Flat’s down south. Its common to use the trolling motor to slowly move the bait around until the active feeding fish are found. Then what was found was the active feeding fish were most of the time in the upper sections of the water column so floats and planer boards came into the picture chasing these cats. Very cool to see it working so well up here.

audemp
    Wi

Welcome to IDA Waldog! Nice Flats!! I had a dream last night I caught a 70 lb flat. The guys from IDA I was with were all crying (DTRO) Weird dream but I took it as a sign not to forget the flatheads during this time of year just cause the sturgeon are biting.

Thanks for the pics! Hopefully you will share some more info about your technique.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Dreaming about IDA’ers? TMI, TMI!

larry_haugh
    MN

Quote:

Its what happens to those that fall into the woodwork for too long.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

No problem there with me. At least he seems to have stopped cyber stalking me.

Marc, when we going fishing?

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Quote:

Its what happens to those that fall into the woodwork for too long.

Yep!… there are Dreamers and there are PLAYERS….

audemp
    Wi

Yeah It was a REAL wierd dream!!

Let me know when you guys want to get out and catch some fish!! Since the parents are gone I am free whenever the wife is not working.

waldog10

T Ellis you hit it on the head. That is exactly what we are doing. I havent tried in the upper water column. Sounds like something to try! All of our cats are caught on bottom basically vertical jigging the setup. We fish anywhere from the 300 foot line down. The tailout area can be good at times. Give it a try it’s a blast. Good luck!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Mike C and I had Flatheads hitting a jig with a good sized minnow at the dam after dark last night. A little over 14lbs was the biggest. We are thinking we need some larger baits and give it a wirl again

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I’m good to fish any day!

Quote:

Yeah It was a REAL wierd dream!!

Let me know when you guys want to get out and catch some fish!! Since the parents are gone I am free whenever the wife is not working.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.