One from today

• channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

Here’s one from this afternoon. I was out for a few hours, and only caught this one. Didn’t get a weight I could trust, but it measured out at 32″ long by 18″ around. I was using sucker fillets threaded onto a circle hook, in about 5′ of water in the mouth of a tributary of the Mississippi. Some of you might recognize the spot… just keep it quiet.

Ben

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Yes.. I believe I recognize the spot.. I wont tell others where its at. If your worried about location identification in pictures, you should use photo shop or something to blur the background.

Nice fish Ben!

I dont think you have to worry too much about people swarming to spots now. The rivers will be going through the spring to summer transition over the next week or so, other species of fish are biting, and openers are coming up.

The 1st of the catfish contest is coming in less than 2 weeks!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

That dar is a dandy channel cat Ben

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Sweet fish, dude!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Nice fish! Is that a bike rack in the background or does she just have some monster whiskers?

channelcatben
    South Minneapolis

Quote:

I dont think you have to worry too much about people swarming to spots now.

You know, come to think of it, I usually start seeing people fishing at *my* spots after the fish have moved elsewhere. The lesson here is that the early bird gets the fish. Once people start showing up, I’ll move on to a different spot.

I had been getting a lot of bites all day, but just couldn’t hook up. I was using a 1″ steak of sucker hanging on a circle hook, and had as much gap exposed as I could. I figured that the fish were just “lipping” the bait, and never actually engulfing the whole bait. So I filleted the sucker, and threaded it up onto my line and the shank of the hook (still leaving plenty of gap exposed), making it less possible for the fish to lip the bait without getting hooked. Within five minutes I was fighting this beast.

Does anyone have a decent catfish weight calculator, based on length and girth? Any guesses at least?

Ben

larry_haugh
    MN

Nice fish Mate!!
    With the dimensions that you have listed. I would venture to say that its 7lbs at a minimum and possibly closer to 8-9lbs.
    When you hit the 36inch range your talking 11lb plus usually.

Nice fish.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I dont know of a length/weight calculator for channel cats. A 32″ fish should be at least 10#. A 35″-36″ fish is 15#-23# depending on the *build* of the fish. They start to fill out after 30″, and its really hard to accurately guess a weight.

larry_haugh
    MN

Ben

I would have to agree with Dave’s calculations though I was a little on the conservative side. the pic is of a 11.13lb channel with a length of 31 inches, caught in mid august, post spawn.

Also included here is a pic of a 9lber check out the 8th post in this thread. I didnt get a length and girth on it.

Your fish could have been 10 at a min possibly up to 13. Its hard to tell with the way the fish is moving at an angle.

http://www.in-depthangling.com/forum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/323124/page/2/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.