Flathead Hooks

• dirk_w.
    Minnesota

After almost bending out several of my Eagle Claw #84 hooks on some cats I realize I need to use some stronger hooks when fishing heavy cover for big cats. Do any of you have any recommendations? Looking for hooks probably in the 4/0 – 10/0 size. Thanks in advance.

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

I have found that the saltwater hooks are stronger and don’t bend as easy.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Catdad,

Are you using circle hooks in this size or what style? Did I miss that detail? My wife says I have selective reading now! Anyway, wondering if you’re using circle hooks at all and if so, where can I can hooks that big? The stores around here only carry up to a 5/0.

bigtime
    North Carolina

Try either cabelas.com or bass pro.com.look under there salt water tackle page. I’ve looked all over the state of Mn for big hooks with little luck. If you don’t want to order them on-line try going to your local bait and tackle store and asking the person in charge of ordering their tackle if they will special orde some stuff for you. Thats what I do, they usually don’t mind doing it.

fishhunter
    Stillwater, Minnesota

This spring at Cabela’s they had some monster hooks like that in s.s. Not sure the size but I would guess they were atleast 8/0. Good luck in your search.

Fishhunter

bigtime
    North Carolina

I don’t think you need much bigger than a 1/0 hook for your pup-aroni sticks though :o)

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Dirk,

4/0 Gamakatzsu saltwater hooks are the bomb! Timmy D gave me some a while back, and I am still using them! They have one &^%$ of a point, and are stronger than stink bait!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Do you suppose balled up Pup-peroni sticks would work for chumming? :O)

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

I really like circle hooks for channels with cut bait. I think its increased my hooking percentage and most often they get hooked in the corner of the mouth. Just engage your reel when they run and hold on or reel slowly till they hook up. Its surprising how well its worked for me. The gap between the point and the shaft is small which makes me think they may not be the best choice for very large live baits but I really havent tried. Stamina sells large circle hooks.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.