Jigging for Flats in late fall early winter.

• VikeFan

I’m with everyone on lobbying to stop winter snagging of flathead, big fish contests that kill the big fish, etc….

The Bobber Shop in Mankato sponsored this contest? In addition to lobbying the Minnesota DNR (which seems to be sympathetic on flathead), I would suggest letting the sponsors of such contests know your stance on this issue. Let them know you will take your business elsewhere until more care is taken to protect large flathead in such contests.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Quote:

Thanks everyone for some great info. I also hope one day to have a closed season on all cats in MN.

How would we start to lobby for something like this?

Careful there buddy! Get a closed season on the FLATHEAD cats. A closed season on channels would upset a whole bunch of ice fishermen, and I dont think we are hurting them any catching them in March from the open water.

With MN laws set up the way they are, I dont think it would be that difficult to get a closed season for flatheads.. but I dont think it will affect much of anything either. The bodies of water most in question(pool 4 directly) is a border water and it would take equal effort from the WI side.

As for those fishing contest on the Minnesota.. they should be shut down if they cant come up with a way to weigh fish without the mortality rate. I dont care if they have to tighten up the boundaries, have boats with scales on the water, whatever they have to do. That is abusing a fishery and illegal(wanton waste?). There were 2 contest this last weekend from what I understand that had lots of dead flatheads.

hanson

That video was from the Belle Plaine contest.

I wish I would have had my head out of my a$$ and went and observed the weigh-ins and took photos. Thankfully Kevin was there and took video. Not pretty, thats for sure.

audemp
    Wi

Post deleted by audemp

audemp
    Wi

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks everyone for some great info. I also hope one day to have a closed season on all cats in MN.

How would we start to lobby for something like this?

Careful there buddy! Get a closed season on the FLATHEAD cats. A closed season on channels would upset a whole bunch of ice fishermen, and I dont think we are hurting them any catching them in March from the open water.

With MN laws set up the way they are, I dont think it would be that difficult to get a closed season for flatheads.. but I dont think it will affect much of anything either. The bodies of water most in question(pool 4 directly) is a border water and it would take equal effort from the WI side.

As for those fishing contest on the Minnesota.. they should be shut down if they cant come up with a way to weigh fish without the mortality rate. I dont care if they have to tighten up the boundaries, have boats with scales on the water, whatever they have to do. That is abusing a fishery and illegal(wanton waste?). There were 2 contest this last weekend from what I understand that had lots of dead flatheads.

Sorry I meant Flatheads!!

MachineHead

Quote:

Read this link to the bobber shop registration form under rules. bobber shop catfishing contest entry form Well thanks to that video we can see that the rules were definatly broken and many flats harmed or killed.

We should all call bobber shop and the DNR both to tell them about this abuse of our resources.

Erm, that wasn’t the Bobber Shop tourney where the fish were belly up. It was the Belle Plaine one as clearly stated.

EDIT: And this goes to show that clear and level-headed thinking needs to be in place before pointing fingers at anyone. You won’t get much response from rule makers either without some solid and well planned statements. Hot heads never get far, but they do get ignored.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I thought it was Belle Plain, Tx. It’s easy to get things mixed up.

In this day…without sponsors (ie money involved) there isn’t a reason to have a weigh in.

This is the bass kill thread all over again…except this one appears to be directly linked to the contest.

Hanson, any chance of getting one of those fellas on IDA for their side? On second thought…that might not be a good idea.

See PM.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Back to the winter fishing for flats…

1) – I’m all for protecting flats from snagging.

2) – Snagging of any game fish is already illegal.

3) – Flathead harvest during the winter is so small and coming from such a localized area it is likely to be seen as inconsequential by the DNR and unlikely to harm the fishery as a whole. I’m on the water at that time of the year 4 – 5 days a week and I rarely if ever see any of these fish kept. Even by the snaggers.

There is already a law in place that protects these fish. The issue is enforcement. The guys that are out there ripping blades will already claim to be fishing walleyes. If a new law was put in place to make flatheads off limits during the middle of the winter, what do you think would be accomplished. By this question I mean if a low-life “angler” is already willing to break the law that prohibits snagging don’t you think that same guy will sit over the top of these winter holes “accidentally” snagging flatties and claim he was fishing walleyes.

Its what they already do now. One more rule to stop law breakers is unlikely to accomplish much.

However… if enough of us hollered, yelled, and stomped feet to get enforcement improved to enforce the law that is already in place, these fish can be protected. The areas targeted by these scoundrels are very small and certainly the harvest of these fish during the winter is not a widespread issue across the state. Basically we’re talking about one pool on the mississippi river.

What worries me more than the number of flatties kept during the winter is what impact a prolonged struggle might have on a flatheads energy reserves and physical condition. Smallies will feed during the winter but I’ve read several articles about the damage that can be done to wintering fish thru CPR angling through the ice. Fat stores are depleted and physical condition of fish can be negatively impacted. If there is a possibility that the same negative impact on physical condition might be happening to flatties snagged, fought and later released, this would concern me more than focusing on the overall number of flatties taken home.

Just some thoughts guys. Trying to get the MN and WI DNR to agree on a rule change that would put a season on flatheads is likely to be a nearly impossible uphill climb.

hanson

Brian-

PM’d you back.

Didn’t mean to hijack the thread with the lovely video. Just wanted to raise awareness about other flatheading issues.

MachineHead

Quote:

However… if enough of us hollered, yelled, and stomped feet to get enforcement improved to enforce the law that is already in place, these fish can be protected

Doubtful that will work because of one very limiting reason. Money. Without shelling out another truckload of money, supplied by guys like you and me, they do not have the resources to do this. Manpower is very short because of this reason, and this reason alone. It isn’t because they wouldn’t have enough qualified people to do it.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Didn’t mean to hijack the thread with the lovely video. Just wanted to raise awareness about other flatheading issues.

I think that video was very appropriate to the topic of the thread. I think what is really going on here is a growing awareness of the need for more attention to the way this top of the line predator is treated.

The guys running that tournament treated those mongo flatties like garbage and I hope their next request for a permit is denied.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Doubtful that will work because of one very limiting reason. Money. Without shelling out another truckload of money, supplied by guys like you and me, they do not have the resources to do this. Manpower is very short because of this reason, and this reason alone. It isn’t because they wouldn’t have enough qualified people to do it.

So if rules can’t be enforced why create another rule?

I’ve had fair luck calling the TIP line to deal with these guys. The number of guys participating in winter snagging is TINY (I see the same boats OVER AND OVER) so working with the DNR to hammer this small group of guys wouldn’t be that difficult. This just isn’t a widespread problem.

I’d suggest talking to the DNR pre-winter, tell them that this is an issue near and dear to the hearts of a large number of us and ask what kind of working relationship would need to be put together to police the few areas in question and when someone is found snagging in these areas, how to get the DNR out to deal with them.

It took 3 – 4 YEARS to get the MN DNR to change the ruling regarding the minnow classification on bullheads under 7″. To try and get a closed season from MN and WI would be like moving a mountain. I’m not saying it can’t be done. I am saying that there are some steps that can be taken to further protect these fish this season instead of hoping for a rule change that might not come happen for years, if at all.

But that’s just my thinking. I’ll still be out there calling the TIP line this winter.

MachineHead

Quote:

So if rules can’t be enforced why create another rule?

Oh give me a break. Patronizing me with that isn’t much fun. You know what my point was.

And yes, I agree that getting two states DNR depts. to work on this would be an uphill battle.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Oh give me a break. Patronizing me with that isn’t much fun. You know what my point was.

If I offended you, you have my sincerest apologies. It was not my intention.

I was not patronizing you and I’m not going to assume I know your point. It was a question I’d like answered by anyone that wants to push for a new rule while thinking existing rules can’t be enforced due to lack of funding for the DNR.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

James, with your experiance in the area we are talking about, I appreciate your input…it’s made me look at the problem more globally even though we’re talking a small area.

There is a problem on the Croix too…but even to a lesser extent than the ‘sippi.

Whatever the answer is, it’s going to take people like us to work together to get it done…whether it’s changing the law (and the MN DNR has already stated their case) or reporting these guys through the TIP line and posting pictures, boat registration and even names if possible here to get the word out.

One of the problems of the past is that there weren’t enough “sportscatters” around in the winter time to report…anything. With the growing popularity of the sport and threads like this more and more people are becoming aware of the issue whether they are cat folk or not…and the use of the TIP line…

Heck, I might take up winter open water walleye fishing just to watch over the holes!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

and the MN DNR has already stated their case

What was the position of the MN DNR on the issue?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

They felt that since snagging was already against the law, we didn’t need to have a closed season as there wouldn’t be that many fish caught.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

They felt that since snagging was already against the law, we didn’t need to have a closed season as there wouldn’t be that many fish caught.

Well, then maybe they should start enforcing it. You know if you see a boat “jigging for walleyes” and they keep pulling in flatheads, you might want to figure out if they are coming in tail first.

Anyways, we don’t want a closed season to prevent snaggin, at least I don’t. I want to protect the fishery. To me the management should be similar to musky, except the season wouldn’t have to be closed as long. I am not saying musky and flats are similar biologically, but look at some things like, they both are related to a fish that is similar, but is greater in number (pike/channels). Flatheads, for people who target them, are a trophy fish. So I think ecologically speaking and from a conservation stand point, flatheads should be treated like the musky. However, I’d be careful about wishing for a closed season. They might close it right through July knowing how they work.

I know I sound like I am ranting, so please be nice when you point out the stupid parts of my logic.

Actaully, it isn’t so much the MN DNR i have an issue with either. The regs we have set up are pretty good. It’s you cheese eaters that need to get your fisheries department in order.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I was quite certain that was going to be their stance. No matter. Given the small geographic area that needs to be policed all it will take is a commitment from those of us here on this site to program in that TIPS number in our cell phones and use it each and every time we see suspicious activity.

audemp
    Wi

What is the TIPS hotline number?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

1-800-652-9093
    24/7/365

I forgot we are our best police and COs have a lot on their hands as is. I hope I didn’t sound like I was getting on their case.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I wanna see Pug make a ‘citizen’s arrest’.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

Quote:

I was quite certain that was going to be their stance. No matter. Given the small geographic area that needs to be policed all it will take is a commitment from those of us here on this site to program in that TIPS number in our cell phones and use it each and every time we see suspicious activity.

Remember too that all of them do not have to be caught for a difference to be seen. Given this is a small area I believe if a couple arrests are made the word will get out quickly enough and this snagging will just fade away.

Public opinion is also a powerful tool against these people. If enough fishermen make a point to pull abreast of these people when they see them snagging and make the point, loudly and clearly, that this is not an acceptable activity they will not be so eager to do it. I’m not suggesting anyone starts picking fights with everyone they see aggressively jigging the river but there are ways to get your point across sternly yet civilly.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Two words: Flare gun.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

If they are snagging fish and keeping them, this is against the law. But my understanding of the way it is written, is any snagged fish must be released into the water immediately. If these guys are snagging fish and releasing them, my understanding is they are within the law, and another law stating a closed season will do nothing.

Is this correct or am I barking up the wrong tree? i have never seen people behaving in such a way, so it is simple speculation on my part.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I think the law states that it is illegal to intentionally snag a fish.

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Wisconsin law is that it is illegal “to fish by snagging, foul-hooking, or attempting to hook fish other than in the mouth.” But that doesn’t really do any good if they can claim that they’re not trying to snag fish, and if they’re releasing snagged fish.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Okay, I looked it up. MN law states that:

Quote:

It is unlawful to take a fish by snagging.

I assume when they say “take” they mean catch, not keep.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

So the best we could probably do is get a closed season so that when they snag flathead after flathead even if releasing them, technically a warden could then step in. Harass them enough and they may give up. To me that seems pretty common sense that if you say you are fishing for walleye with monster jigs. You are ripping the jigs through the water and you are only hauling up flatheads…seems like that would be a clear violation. Of course if they spot the warden they are just going to switch anyway.

Seems like a tough battle.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Tickets can and have been issued by wardens for snagging when fish have not been kept. Tickets regularly get issued to guys who get caught CPR’ing bass before the season opens. They claim to be fishing pannies… warden makes judgement call and writes the ticket.

Same deal here. It comes down to a judgement call based on common sense and experience.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.