Are Suckers Out Producing Bullies Right Now?

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

From what I have been seeing in the forums, suckers seem to be out-doing the bullheads right now. At least that’s what seems to be happening. Maybe we have a “match the hatch” situation? Anyone else notice this trend to or am I on crack? Can anyone back me up?

ratherbfishn
    St Paul Park MN

Yes….. but I havnt seen any size. I have tried cut suckers, whole suckers, chubs, cut mooneye and small bullies. Next on the list would be a native fish if I can catch one thats legal bait. Thats on the list of things to try. To be honest I was crushing these guys for about 3 weeks with big bullheads… the bigger the better and about 2 weeks ago they stopped hitting them. I switched to smaller ones 4-5″ and we got 3 nice fish in 2 nights. Well they stopped hitting them as well. In the last week I have caught 3 flats and a half dozen channels on cut and live suckers but nothing on bullies. I think its best to atleast have a second option if not a 3rd over bullies right now!! The same patter happened last year at the spawn and I dont think these fish are looking to far for food…. Just an easy meal but they also have to be able to find it so use your imadgination. They are out there.
    This was my last heavy fish 6/29.hit a 4″ bullie on a 5/0 circle. I took a picture of the hookset but someone deleted the picture Great hookset.

Sorry about the picture Brian Hope this help you guys a little. That flat that won last year hit cut at about 11pm… If what you are using is not working change!!! sometime it doesnt have to be much but it makes a big difference. Sometimes even using the same bait but hooking it different makes a world of difference!

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

From what I have been seeing in the forums, suckers seem to be out-doing the bullheads right now. At least that’s what seems to be happening. Maybe we have a “match the hatch” situation? Anyone else notice this trend to or am I on crack? Can anyone back me up?

Yep your on crack……

Actually same thing happened last year about this time, I know FisherDave switched over to suckers and caught fish while others stayed with bullies and caught nothing……

So yes you are on crack and yes you are right about suckers out producing bullies…..I think…

It’s 12:30 pm Brian should be up soon……

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Great! Should be easy to keep suckers alive in 95 degree heat! At least they aren’t hitting shiners, but if they are, I don’t want to hear about it.

Has anyone used those portable aerators they sell either built into the bucket or that you can attach? I usually don’t worry about aerating the bullheads from cooler to my spot, but I would with suckers. I guess I better skim through that thread about portable livewell coolers!

larry_haugh
    MN

Creek Chubbs,
    they have been driving the channels NUTS!!! I think that I can guess why, they are stinky little buggers. keep a bucket with a bubbler going for a while. My wife thinks that their dead after a couple of hours.
    Can’t say for the Flatheads. But havent really been using them for flatties. But will be if I can get enough.
    thanks
    Larry

audemp
    Wi

Quote:

Has anyone used those portable aerators they sell either built into the bucket or that you can attach? I usually don’t worry about aerating the bullheads from cooler to my spot, but I would with suckers. I guess I better skim through that thread about portable livewell coolers!

Moore’s bait sells them for about 14$ and make sure you freeze some water bottles to stick in with them to keep them cool… They will stay lively for days.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Are suckers out producing bullheads right now…

NO.

Its really hard to catch a flathead on a dead minnow laying on the bottom! That is where most suckers end up afer about 5 minutes on the hook in these water temps. The bully will kick and kick. Vary size of bullies if all esle fails.

If you insist on using suckers and you want them to live a bit longer.. here is a couple steps that will help. Put the suckers in some type of well oxygenated bait system ad let the water warm up to a temperture close to the river temperature. This will eliminate much of the *shock* issue. If you go to the river strait from the shop and cast them in.. odds are low that sucker is going to give you any quality time on the hook.

The odds are probably just about as good with a cut sucker as it is with a live sucker right now… if cutbait seems to be key, dont overlook cut bullheads! Lots of scent in that bloody meat!

elkmantom

To keep suckers alive……take a good size cooler and put a hole with a screen in the top. Then buy a live well pump and place it in the bottom of the cooler. run a piece of hose from the pump along the top part of the cooler and plug the end of the hose. Drill 1/4 inch holes along the bottom side of the hose. Hook the live well pump to a deep cycle battery and it will run all night long. I also make ice cubes with lake or river water and add some of these during the night to keep the water cool. Try this and you will be able to keep just about any knid of bait alive all night long.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I did all right in that heat on Sunday. Kept them in the oxygen bag in a cooler, with ice surrounding it. Once I set up on the bank I let the bag sit in the river to bring the temp up to equal with the river. To my shock, none died or even looked strained during the process. Then I put them in a small (marc and Tony know how small) minnow bucket. I then put that in a decent current. Of course a few died, but was suprised I didn’t lose them all. I think I might invest in a bait net. The minnow bucket only has holes on the top, so not much fresh water circulates through. Otherwise, I think more would have lived. I still have 4 or five alive in my fridge. I can’t believe they are still alive even with the cooled water, because it’s a tiny bucket.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

pug…

get yourself one of them panfish baskets for when your on the water. They work.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I was thinking those ones you link to audemp. Dave, a basket would be even better, since it is more open than netting, but my only concern would be that it collapses. I suppose if I could keep it on it’s side it would be ok?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

This thread is from 06. I thought it was timly…although I was looking for something else.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The bigger the suckers, the easier it is to keep them alive for whatever reason. Last night I had some monsters from Moore’s. I kept them in the Moore’s blue bucket and all I had to do was scoop and pour the water back in every once in a while. It’s a poor man’s aerator.

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

The bigger the suckers, the easier it is to keep them alive for whatever reason. Last night I had some monsters from Moore’s. I kept them in the Moore’s blue bucket and all I had to do was scoop and pour the water back in every once in a while. It’s a poor man’s aerator.

I use the poor man’s aerator all the time. I usually fill my cooler with very cold water from the hose at home before going out (essential) and then have some ice to add to the water. I use a $25 aerator that I got at Walmart which has suction cups on the bottom and a spongy filter (I’m sure you’ve seen them). In my buddy’s boat this works very well, but in my own, my battery isn’t charged by the motor, so I find myself without power frequently. That’s when it pays to have a kid along – they can take a coffee can and just keep filling and pouring – trying to pour from as high as they can reach and make as many bubbles as possible. Doesn’t heat the water at all either – works very well.

On the bullhead/sucker thing – you’re on crack if you’re using suckers over bullheads by choice in very warm water. Bulls are at their best when the water temp is up as high as it is right now, and suckers at their worst. I can’t stand suckers, although I “grew up” on them – learned to fish flats with them. Can’t recast them, don’t know for sure if they’re even alive most of the time, they don’t thump and struggle. They work, for sure, but bulls and bluegills hold about every advantage you can think of.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I haven’t been on crack for a couple hours now….but suckers have consistently worked very well for me in August….CUT sucker.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.