Old Moe

• ratherbfishn
    St Paul Park MN

Hey guys,
    I just wanted to put a post up to see what drives each of you to targeting such a unique fish we have here (talking flats). I think anyone can enjoy it but what drives some of you like me to sit out every night to chase these rod benders!
    For me theres two reasons… Like a lot of guys here I love being on the river chasing fish. During sping the walleye fishing is second to non!!! Every year I set goals but when I exceed them goals it time to move on and find a new challenge.
    The second part is what attracts me to the flatheads. Since before I can remember my dad has always taken us down to the river. We had alot of family friends down by afton and I grew up about a mile from p2 so if he didnt bring us we were riding the bikes down there. He would always tell us the story of old moe ( the one that got away ). Anyone who has spent them days down drowning crawlers has a story of that fish that made him look like a fool! Now that I am a little more educated and know whats happening in the river the fish I wait to catch all year is Old Moe! Thats the best part to me when fishing flat. That 42 inch I caught last friday brought it all back to me agian. Being able to fight the biggest and badest fish in these waters is a blast and the satisfaction of setting a goal and meeting it give you a feeling of new life! But the best part of fishing these guys is it never ends because even though your armed with 80 lb test and the best gear to bring these guys in theres still that fish out there that will kick my butt just like it did when I was a little kid sitting on the side of the river. So theres no end to it with flat heads. You can catch a monster but now that you have done that you have to catch a bigger one I think they should call us flataholics but I am taking the 1st step and admitting to it…. Thanks for the replys… gotta go get some bullheads now

larry_haugh
    MN

Hello,
    My name is Larry, I too am a Flataholic. I’m might be on the path to loose everything with this obsession.
    I’ve fished for all different species in salt and Fresh water. I don’t think that anything compares to the rush when you hook into nice Flathead. (I’ve done some pretty intense things in my life and the Flats still beat any other rush) I know thats one of the reasons that I haven’t fished for anything but bait and Flats since Canada last spring.
    I just wish I could get my Wife to cut me more Slack. mmmmmm probably good she doesnt. Otherwise I would be consumed by this passion.
    thanks
    Larry

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

I have a poll on my website where I asked what people’s favorite part about chasing flatheads is. The choices (and results) are:

Catching Huge Fish (31%)
    The Hunt (7%)
    Solitude (7%)
    Being out in nature (3%)
    Being out at night (3%)
    Amazing my friends (2%)
    Catching LOTS of fish (1%)

Unfortunately, I also put in a catch-all phrase “Everything about it rocks” which got 42% of the votes.

Personally, I love the hunt. I get a charge out of the idea that I’m hunting trophies, trying to figure them out and testing my ideas. But then I also just love being out, and love being out at night when it’s quiet (but for the screaming drags).

Best reason is this – being the guy, or watching the guy who got one of these on the end of his line and got to see it up close:

That’s Tom again with a 35 from last night – he’s on a roll this year.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

BK, you forgot the other choice.

When you fish the river, you never know what may be on the other end of that line…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I just think they are about the most facinating fish you can catch. And when you hook one, it is very rewarding.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I love fishing for a fish with bait alot of people filet out

I also still need my 50 ponder

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I just started fishing for cats last year. A buddy of mine wanted to try it, so I thought, “what the heck!” Well, he got bored (he’s not too patient), and now I’ve really gotten into this thing. I love catching channels, but flatheads are just the coolest. They just have this mystique about them. So many people don’t understand them and figure they’re just a bottom-feeding garbage eater. People are amazed when I tell them and show them my cat gear and bait. I just love the power and attitude of the top of the food chain.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Why do people climb Mt Everest? I am a multi-species angler and I enjoy targeting a species and being successful. I especially enjoy catfishing because they are a serious challenge and failure is always a possibility. They are the one of only a few species of fresh water fish that can wreck heavy gear. I also enjoy the river at night. I get sick of dealing with the pleasure craft. When I was 10 years old, I hooked a flattie on the Wisconsin that tried to drag me in the river. I have been hooked ever since.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

My top 5 reasons:

1)I like catching any big fish..and the flats are the biggest (that the season is open on)
    2) Night fishing is great in its self. Just a few years ago you wouldn’t catch me on the river at night.
    3) I love the look on peoples face when the mouth surfaces…as it becomes a religious experiance for them… “OH MY GOD!”
    4) I’m a catfish potato…I’m not crazy about casting all day.
    5) They are so damn pretty!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

My top 5 reasons:

That smiley better not be sarcasm! They are very unique. I happen to think they are a handsome fish, and then again, I own a pug. I don’t think there is a more docile fish out of water than a flathead. Can you imaging these muscle fish flopping around in a boat?

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

But my Mom seems to think I am pretty too, and I think she is the only one

ratherbfishn
    St Paul Park MN

Quote:

3) I love the look on peoples face when the mouth surfaces…as it becomes a religious experiance for them… “OH MY GOD!”

I like that! Very true!
    I get a kick out of it to when people see you gear and bait for the 1st time!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I get a kick out of it to when people see you gear and bait for the 1st time!

and they think…”all that for 3 pound (channel) cats???”

ps Farmboy…sorry about your mom…

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Hey come on now, somebody has to love me, and I am problably a little better looking then a pug

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Quote:

Hey come on now, somebody has to love me, and I am problably a little better looking then a pug

Easy now, I was talking about the fish, not you. He may not look like much, but he is great at diving for bullheads.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

He may not look like much, but he is great at diving for bullheads.

Now I’m really confused. Who are we talking about here??

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Well as long as we got that clear, Just a little gentle ribbing for ya Pug

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Not only can I take it, but I welcome it. What a terrible place it would be if we couldn’t give our fellow cat chasers crap!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.