Pool 2 backwaters

• carp chaser
    Twin Cities, MN

I’m looking for a new spot to try on the next trip. Anyone ever fish North Lake, Sturgeon L., Goose L., Birch L., Cannon L., Mud L., or Dead Sl. L.? These are all connected to the river between Hastings and Red Wing. They seem like good areas for white bass, crappie, gar, and various other species, maybe even muskies. Goose Lake is over 50 ft. deep or so, maybe good for cats? Frontenac also looks interesting.

carp chaser
    Twin Cities, MN

Went to Goose Lake a few days ago, but I couldn’t find any deep holes. Fished the Vermillion Slough (by the railroad bridge) and didn’t get anything but it looks like good cat water. Going back tonight looking for big flatheads, thanks for the great tip, i’ll try fishing those shallower runs.

carp chaser
    Twin Cities, MN

Wow, a 45, that’s great. We had a dissapointing outing. My brother and I camped out at the junction of the Vermillion and Pickerel Slough. It looks like a good spot, with a 14 foot hole full of brush and then a 5 foot stretch above, but the current is really slowing down. Caught several carp and sheepshead in the shallows, and then I lost something big in deep water due to all the cover. By the morning we had caught just one small flathead (6 lb.). Next time we’ll be sure to pick a spot with less snags. You’re right the majority of the Vermillion below the trussel is shallow but there are a couple of good holes, in fact right below the bridge, there’s a 20 foot hole. Good potential at least. The Vermillion is now almost completely cut off from the main river, boats were getting stuck above Diamond Island on Friday so avoid that area. I wonder how many big fish will be trapped in there.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.