Catfish – getting started!

• SKEREEP
    Red Wing, MN

Okay,

This year I’m going to do it. I’m going to actually FISH for cats on purpose.

I’ve caught them before by accident and the memories of each encounter are burned in my mind as something really fun.

I’ve got a few ideas on how to go about catching them and have read an article or two.

To those of you who are experts on pool 4 what are some tricks you are willing to share?

Stuff I want to know:

How heavy duty of rod/reel/line do I really need?

What are the most productive baits throughout the season?

How are you guys presenting that bait – terminal tackle and techniques?

What types of water should I be fishing in throughout the year?

Thanks a ton!

Scott

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hey Scott!

This post will be moved to the MN/Mississippi/Catfish Forum…

But in the mean time…

Are you going after channel cats

or flatheads?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

As you can see…there’s a day and night differance!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

A big difference in the tackle you will need also

SKEREEP
    Red Wing, MN

BrianK,

The answer is yes – both. It’s the flathead variety that has really got my attention, but I’ve caught a few of the channels too and am interested in knowing the difference between the two species as far as technique goes.

Let’s start with the flatheads.

Teach me master, I’m listening.

Scott

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I have some interest as well since it just looks so damn fun. I am looking for location items that relate to the Flatheads. Sounds like a great way to spend a few evenings by the old “cottonwood tree”.

I know there are a few top notch cat guys out there to help with this.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

When I’m fishing flatty’s my basic set up consist of 80 pound Power Pro, a 3 – 6 ounce no roll sinker (shaped like a pancake), swivel with a bead (Carolina rig) and a good #2 / 0 hook. A good bait cast reel is a must. Not to start a fight, I like a clicker on my reel. As far as rods, I like Berkley Big Game 6.5 – 7 foot heavy. They are a good rod for the price. I would rather put my money into the reel

On the river I’m looking for current seems near deep holes and snags. These areas are flatty’s favorite day time spots. They will come crawling out in the evening to feed. Being I am fishing WI. I like to use 5 – 8 inch gills or crappies for bait.

These are things that work for me. I’m sure the pros will be chiming in soon. Good luck fishing them cats dudes

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Scouting is very important. You will need to fish at night to do the most damage. Night fishing the river is very dangerous if you are unfamiliar with your surrounding. Find deep holes with wood and current and the cats will be there. I like to fish shallow weed edges close to these areas or the front end of the hole. You should make sure you have a good spot light. I bring two. Have fun. Catting is all about time on the water.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Brent – One good place to start acquiring some catfish knowledge is with some good catfishing videos. This time of year it is a good way to spend your time. I would recommend any of the In-Fisherman videos: “Catfish Fever”; “Classic Catfish”; “The Big Catfish Connection”; and for a good flathead video that gives you some good insights into tactics and techniques I would recommend “Day on the River”.

If you don’t want to buy them, I know some libraries carry them. The Washington County Library in Minnesota has a selection of fishing videos you can check out for nothing.

If you are going to get serious about chasing cats I would recommend starting your own catfish library. Some good books to start you on your way are:
    In-Fisherman: “Channel Catfish Fever”
    In-Fisherman: “Catfish Fundamentals” Critical Concepts 1
    In-Fisherman: “Catfish Location” Critical Concepts 2
    Creative Publishing International:”Fishing for Catfish” by Keith Sutton.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Nice looking flathead Briank. Maybe some day i’ll get lucky and get a monster like that one. I run lines occasionally but never had one that big hit the hook.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Farmboy? How did you post the [censored] tree? Dang, that happens everytime I mention that secret spot!

All the above info is very good. Channel cats are your best bet for early season action. Flats are more fun once they warm up a bit…when the water is in the upper part of the 50 degree range and hang on once the water hits 65 to 70!

These pages are FULL of tips, tricks and methods from a whole bunch of great catters. When you enter the forum, go to the bottom of our screen and change the veiw to “view all? There is way more info in those pages than I could ever type in one sitting. There’s just too much info and differant views.

To answer your questions:

Quote:

How heavy duty of rod/reel/line do I really need?

What are the most productive baits throughout the season?

How are you guys presenting that bait – terminal tackle and techniques?

What types of water should I be fishing in throughout the year?

You can get by with bass gear, but for the cats sake, I don’t recommend it. Also, you’ll be fishing in snag infested waters and these guys don’t like to stop for bass gear. Once their in the wood…chances are, it’s a lost fish.

Getting into catfishing, I’ve come to recommending the least expensive rod made for cats…to start with. No matte what rod you buy or how much you spend, it seems like (if you end up staying the course) you’ll want something else. I ended up working with Hooked on Fishing Bait shop in Rochester for all my cat rods now…just because he could make them the way I wanted…heck, rod maker guru Mike Fisher even put larger hook holders on the St Croix because the 10/0 hook didn’t fit well!
    Bottom line…Start cheap and if you plan on really getting into catten…spend a few extra bucks and get something that fits you.

Reels? I prefer the ABU Garcia 7000’s, solid, well made winches, with a bait clicker. Many folks use 6500 or equivalent. Ford/Chevy. Many swear by bait casters, many love the open face spinning reel. Both have their advantages.

Line: I’m a Power Pro guy. I use 80 lbs Power Pro exclusively for flats and next respool I’ll be trying the 100 lbs test. Remember, when you’re fishing the snages they have to be hauled out right away…’cause their natural instince is to head for cover…and there’s a lot of it!

Baits? For me, bullheads are the (legal) bait of choice until around August, then I switch to one bully and one sucker…then finally both suckers. If your from MN, the bullheads must be under 7″ to transport alive. I’ve started hooking them through the back flesh JUST behind the dorsal fin. Some hook them through the lips. Your choice.

Terminal tackle and presentation: Many differant ways here too. Many folks use the “no-roll” sinkers (available at Evert’s or Catfish Connection), then the optional bead to protect the knot, a quality swivel, 6 to 10 inch leader and finally I use a 10/0 Gamakatsu hook (#2024). All of this is subject to contraversy… once you get started, try differant things and adjust as you feel inclined.

For presentation, I think everyone would agree that the most lively baits get the most flatheat bites. Once the bait is on the bottom, pull it in a bit ’cause them bullies like to find a rock to hide under!

Types of water to fish through out the year: Now there’s a book in itself! Most of the year, you’ll want deep water, snags and shallow water all very close by. If you find that, there’s going to be flatheads around. If you are missing one of the above…it’s going to decrease the likly hood of cat’s being there. I learned last year that flats will cruise through water as shallow as 1 foot at night…looking for food. Got a 44 lbser that way!

Keep asking questions…that’s what we’re here for!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for the info. The answers to the questions were answered mainly for Flats so could I please ask you to answer them for channel cats?
    Thanks, Bill

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Thanks for the refresher course…

I’ve been practicing my casting at the river……

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Brian has explained the gear really well. I would recommend for a starter rod for flatheads to stop in your local sports shop, or even a wal mart and look at their cat rods. Most of the people I know, and myself settle for rods that are 8′ long or more.. the reason being, these rods are heavier than the 7′ rods, but still have enough tip on them to detect bait movement and strikes. If you want a better rod and dont mind spending a few extra $$$.. look into the Tiger Rods that are rated for at least 50# test. These rods usually run about $50. If you take it further than that, go with custom rods. It is impossible to find the perfect rod because we all want something a little different. A starter reel.. 6500’s are hard to beat, and if you want spinning reels the Okuma reels are decent with the bait clickers, Cabelas Salt strikers are the same thing and cost a little less. These are good reels. I would recommend the 50 class or bigger spinning reels. 80# power pro is a great choice for line, be sure to back it with mono.

Location…

There are many different things to look for. These fish use several different areas of the river. There are a few variables that are always going to be present. Deep water, Cover/structure, and FOOD. These fish dont survive on fatheads.. they are eating machines. Quite often the same area a walleye or bass guy is fishing by day, these fish are thriving at night.. feeder creeks, brush, log jams, culverts, steep break, rock pile, docks.. anything that will provide cover, and draw forage.. larger preditors will follow whether its natural cover, or man made(culvert, bridge pilons, dam).

Keep in mind it doesnt have to be the deepest hole in the river, but these fish like deep water by day(20′-40’+). Flatheads are also not a lover of current. They will be caught with some current, but they are not in the mad rushing water, but they can be inches away from it waiting for the current to serve them their next meal.

There are lots of variables, and 1000’s of great spots out there nobody has ever dropped a line into, or even though of. The key is to locate deep water, pool 4, thats just about everywhere(main channel). Try to figure out where the deep water is with less current that the fish would be likely to be laying low during the day. From there try to figure out where they feed. It going to be an area with minimal current, plenty of cover, and lots of food. Not all spots are created equal. Try to take into account what others are telling you for locations, learn what you can from books/videos. When you find the fish, you will fine tune your own presentations to suit your fishing needs.

If you put an honest effort into it, I am sure you will have success.

SKEREEP
    Red Wing, MN

Thanks to everyone,

I’m already picturing some spots I want to try. Heck, I’ve even got the Abu’s you guys mention sitting at home with 5 colors of leadcore on them. Now I just need to buy a couple counting reels to put the leadcore on. Then I’ll put the abu’s on some cat rods, spool on the power pro and I’m good to start.

Brian-
    You mentioned that the channels are more active in the spring while the flatheads get going when the water warms up……

Do the channels keep going throughout the summer, and are they found in the same places?

Also, is the presentation the same/similar to fishing for flatheads.

Thanks to everyone for your help – It looks like I’ll be reading for a while. I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions.

I can’t wait to try something new!

Scott

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Go get em Scott
    Maybe we can get out together on pool 8 sometime

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Wow, ask and you shall receive. Thanks Guys.

Looks like I may have bitten off a little more then I can chew. But that is a good thing.

BrianK, could you maybe send a little hint out as to where this mythical tree is

Also, there was a website that one of the members had on large flatheads. I took a quick look at one time, but would like to review it again. Anyone remember who that was?

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Found the site. It was FlatheadWI. Now I need to do some studying.

Thanks for the info guys.

mile832
    MN

Hi Scott.
    You’ll find channel cats in the same spots you find flatheads, but channels will also be found in areas of fast current when they’re really feeding. They like tributaries in Spring when the water is high. In the summer they can be found on riprap banks, in snags, sandbars, in the main channel (hence the name channel cat), in dam tailwaters, and on wingdams. You can fish channel cats in the daylight hours, but night is usually best. I only fish channels when the water is too cold for flats, or when I cant get out at night in the summer. Thats only because I like flats so much!

Bait is different for channels. I like fresh cut shad. This is the best bait I have used for channels. If you cant get shad, use cut sucker or chub. Channels will take a variety of other baits too. Crayfish or shrimp(whole shrimp) work at times and so will chicken liver.
    Don’t be afraid to try livebait too. Live sucker, shiners, sunfish (if its legal), night crawlers can catch fish. I usually stay away from commercial baits because I never get anything but nibbles, they are a waste if you ask me.
    For tackle I use J hooks from 2/0 up to about 5/0 and 20lb Trilene big game line.
    Hope this helps you out

SKEREEP
    Red Wing, MN

It does.

Man, I know the quickest way to learn something new from another angler is to go fishing with them. Well this site is the second – except you get info from 20 guys with probably a combined experience of 100’s of years of fishing – I don’t know how old you guys are, or how long you’ve been fishing, but I’m sure I’m way low on the experience.

Thank you all so much. I’ll be sure to let you all know how I do.

I didn’t even know there was a catfish forum. Normally I’m reading the walleye stuff – I’ve been on here every free second today reading about cats.

Seems like theres more than one “real character” in this neighborhood of IDA I’ve enjoyed the good natured ribbing going between you all as much as the information.

Looking forward to getting to know you all as I go.

Scott

SKEREEP
    Red Wing, MN

Bret –

I hope to meet you and many others on here someday soon.

About where does pool 8 start?

I’ve often got an empty seat in my rig on pool 4 as well

Scott

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Scott C.

I fish pool 4 quite a bit. If you are ever looking for someone to share the boat with, mine or yours, send me a message. There is no better way to learn then to hook up with good people and share some knowledge.

One more question. Where do you guys get your bait. I’m from MN and can’t use sunfish, so where do you get your bullheads, suckers or whatever live bait you are using?

mile832
    MN

You can usually catch bullheads hook and line in many local ponds. Or you can seine them. You can seine ponds really early in the year, but once the weeds start to grow its almost impossible, (right Brian? ). If you dont like catching them hook and line you can trap them or use a big smelt net and catch them out of creeks and small rivers.
    If you want bait for channels, you can catch suckers and chubs the same way. Shad are not as easy to get, but if you can get them, great. Shad wont bite on hook and line and are usually too deep to seine in the summer. I would suggest getting a big smelt net and finding a warm water discharge on the Mississippi this winter. You may luck out and find a spot where you can scoop them up from shore.
    Right now is the best time of year to find shad. Just be careful, MN law is very restictive on bait nets and such. Read the regulations.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Pool 8 Starts at Dresbach and runs to Genoa. I spend most my time near Dresbach.
    I wouldn’t mind hitting pool 4 sometime. Never been there, but that is going to change this year!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Farmboy…I’ve been reading up on suckers..white suckers, because they run $19.80 a doz here locally. Dean sells them for less at Evert’s…but there are times that they head up the feeder creek and should be netable…so if anyone has netting suckers down pat…

Please share!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

PS…Matt (FlatheadWI) has a great site with flat info!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hey Scott, here in Iowa for channels its when the waters coming up slow in the rivers and reserviours. When its coming up slow it tells the fish that more foods in the water, when the waters coming up fast they feed good too but i think they feed better when its not a wild rush of water and they can home in on thier prey. One night down on the Iowa river we set lines and they were hitting so hard that after we got the lines set around midnight by the time the sun came up we had 42 catfish and we turned back all the smaller ones. We checked our lines once an hour all night and everytime we picked up the lines we had bent hooks, broken hooks and bare ones where they got off, plus atleast 3 fish on every 15 hook line every time we checked, they tore the lines up that night and the following 2 weeks after. Pole fishing those couple of weeks was unreal, fish after fish and when they hit they didn’t mess around. In the spring at around 55 to 60 degrees and with a rise in the water from warm rains and they go nuts. Look for feeder creeks or slightly flooded areas in the woods along the rivers. They go there looking for nightcrawlers to feed on when the highwater washes them out of thier holes. Some nights its unbelieveable how hard they hit and how many you get, a total blast all night long. We use 1 1/2 long sunnies and run the hook through the very front of thier eye sockets by pulling the membrain and eyes back. They stay alive for days a time this way, good luck and have fun.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.