Circle Hooks

• dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Any of you boys using circle hooks for cats. I’ve used them the last couple times out. About all I can say for now is that they seem to help with the “bite to hookup” ratio for channels, especially with cut bait. I’ve not caught enough flats on them to even comment.

BlackCat
    St. Paul, MN

Circle hooks are all i use. They work great once you know how to use them. I find i get a much larger number of fish hooked, and I’ve NEVER (knock on wood) had a fish get off when i was using a circle hook.

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Are you letting the fish run? Ive been keeping the reel engaged and letting them set themselves except with live bait were its been a very short run and then engaging the reel and reeling untill I feel they are hooked. Any pointers?

fishhead
    Chaska

I tried them a couple of years ago and personally I did not care for them.I love to set that hook and can’t seem to break myself from that habbit.I can tell you if you try to set the hook you will miss most fish.

bigtime
    North Carolina

circle hooks are ok for blues and channels that are eating the bait good. I played arround with them on the red river in lockport MB and caught a couple fish on them ( one was 39″) but if the fish do not engulf the bait you will not catch them and evantually they will just pick your bait apart. I don’t like them for flatheads because the ammount of time you must allow the fih to take in the hook increase your odds of the flathead running back in to heavy cover. my 2 cents

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.