flathead bait

• catcrazy
    Iowa

I am a die hard flathead fisherman and I fish the Minnesota River as often as I can. Does anyone know where I can find 10-14 inch suckers in the Redwood Falls/Franklin area? I fish at Franklin but I would drive up to 40 miles or so to find some decent bait. Any help would be appreciated.

mavzer
    Hager City, WI

I don’t know where you can buy them but, I know there is a little stream not more than 10 miles from the boat launch at redwood falls that I used to catch all the baite we used….. there is even a park and a couple picnic tables etc..etc.. really nice area…. something falls beaver maybe

RAT13

Mavzer is on the right track. If you have the time. Catch you’re own bait. Just find a small creek, A pool on that small creek and you’re in business. You would be suprised how many creeks have good populations of bait fish. All you need is a split shot, the smallest hook you can find and a piece of worm. A good spot to start is where culverts come out from under roads. Any road, any creek, Though you might get a few strange looks from passers by etc..

bigtime
    North Carolina

I’d suggest you forget about using suckers and use bullheads, they are much hardier and you can catch them for free if you dig your own crawlers. On top of this they kick much harder when they are hooked. I suggest cutting the spines off later in the summer. It seems like later in the year the fish will drop the bait if its not clipped

catcrazy
    Iowa

In Minnesota sunfish, blugills, bullhead and even carp are illegal bait. Suckers are my favorite flathead bait anyway. Bullheads get too sluggish. Suckers really fight the hook and draw attention.

bigtime
    North Carolina

bullheads are completely legal to use for bait. the only stipulation is that if they are over 7″ you may not posses more than 50 per angler. Or it could be that you may not poses more than 50 regardless of size. bottom line is though you may use them for bait in Minnesota, where I fish. My friend who is a guide for cats on pool 4 has a written letter from the head of the fisheries department for the MN Dnr saying they are OK to use for bait. So use them, just don’t keep more than 50 to be safe.I disagree with you catcrazy, suckers do pull hard but they tire out much quicker than a bullhead and they die easily in warm conditions. Plus, they don’t kick nearly as hard or consistently as a bullhead does. I do like suckers in the fall once the water cools, then they may be a better bait option. thats my opinion

BlackCat
    St. Paul, MN

Bullheads get my vote…….all my big flatheads except for 1 have been caught on bullheads…….I have never had a bullhead die on me. If you can find a murky pond with a good bullhead population, all you need is a small holed net and some bread. The bullheads will swarm on the bread after a while and with one scoop you can get 10-20. The MN DNR says it’s illegal to use bullheads over 7 inches tho….Once i dropped one on the bank at night. I came back the next day (8 hours later) and he was still breathing!

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

I called the DNR a month ago and they said bullheads are legal regardless of size because they are a rough fish. Can someone clear up my confusion?? I’m a DNR magnet at times and I don’t need to be busted for using too large of bullhead!!

carp chaser
    Twin Cities, MN

Yes I agree with you Big Time, suckers mostly like to sit on the bottom motionless when hooked and don’t last long if it’s warm. Bullheads are the opposite, I have caught many northerns on them but I am going to the MN R. this weekend to try them out for flats. I emailed the DNR last year on the issue and they confirmed that 7″ and under bullheads are considered minnows therefore can be used as bait. Not sure on the limit. I’ve also asked them to define “rough fish” but I never got a straight answer, Nobody seems to know what it means so I wouldn’t start using redhorse and drum, etc. for bait unless I knew for sure it was legal. If anyone wants to get more info (not every rule is in the guide) the email is: [email protected]

BlackCat
    St. Paul, MN

I emailed them last year with that exact question. They said the same thing: Bullheads under 7 inches are classified as minnows. I also asked if i could use rough fish (drum/sheepshead, carp, etc.) and they said that was illegal.

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

I wish they could give a definitive answer. I was put on hold for 5 minutes and then given my answer. I guess just go under 7 inches and be safe??

catcrazy
    Iowa

Thanks for the info. I was given bad info from a DNR person in Minnesota evidently. I will give bullheads a try. What is everyone’s favorite size to use? How do you hook them? I have caught alot of big flats on suckers but I’ve never used bullheads.

bigtime
    North Carolina

catcrazy, My favorite size to use is from 5-9 inches long. Much bigger than that and they are too hard to keep from swimming into the cover you are fishing, if it weren’t for that I would fish as big as I could get. As far as hooking them you want to hook them towards there tail just underneath the begining of their second fin on their back. They have their dorsal fin with the spine and then further down towards their tail they have another small fin this is where I hook them

catcrazy
    Iowa

Thanks bigtime! Good info.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.