Little guys

• RAT13

Still getting lots of little guys at the Coon rapids dam. Usually when this happens I suspect the big one’s are spawning but this has been happening for a couple of weeks. Now I

I’m thinking maybe it has to do with the relentless high water(getting sick of that). Anyone had similiar problems? The area has been getting a lot of pressure also but I don’t want to go there I’m frustrated enough allready.

BlackCat
    St. Paul, MN

What are you using for bait? Usually when you catch alot of small cats, it means thats all you’ll catch there. Maybe try a different location.

carp chaser
    Twin Cities, MN

I’ve encountered the same problem at CR Dam. You can avoid those small cats and bullheads by not using worms. However they will also take a small minnow. I fish for carp there so I mostly use corn, and even then it can be hard to keep the small cats off. There’s always lots of smallmouth and sheepshead. I haven’t gone there for a while. In the last few weeks I’ve seen people lose some big fish in the main channel, they take out all the line and run downstream. Don’t know what they were.

BlackCat
    St. Paul, MN

How do i get to the CR dam? I live in st. paul, and i’m looking for a new spot……..maybe i could meet some of you all there……

carp chaser
    Twin Cities, MN

If I were you, I would look elsewhere for a new spot. Especially since you live near prime fishing water. The main problem with the dam is, it’s heavily fished during all hours of the day, plus the good spots change almost constantly with the change in current, but there are some pretty big fish. The west side of the dam looks like it has more possibilities, mainly for big channel cats, many 15 pounders are caught there. If coming from the south, take University Ave. North to Egret which will take you directly to the dam. there is a small parking fee.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

I always fished the shoreline down river of the 610 bridge on the Coon rapids side…. take a little drive.. you will find a road that runs right along the river with NO houses on the river side.. you can walk down there and fish from the shore…. its fairly lightly fished and there are some nice cats down there…. been there done that….!

RAT13

I haven’t fished the dam much this week. Absolutely too crowded on weekends, unless you’re willing to walk or stay late. The west side is tough to fish, lot’s of current and lots of rock. It can be done when the water is lower but who knows when that will be. The east side is inconsistant lately because they keep changing the gates on the dam. The best way too get there from ST. Paul is to follow 35e to hwy 10. Stay on 10 towards anoka/610. Exit on Foley blvd.and take a right at the light. Go to either Coon Rapids blvd. or East River Road. Go right (North). Then left on Egret. If you want to take a drive follow east river road south of Foley blvd. There are some gaps in the housing along the river but you have use trial and error because I know how to get there,but not the name of the roads specifically.

Sorry carp chaser I don’t ever use worms at the dam, I’m just not a convert to buglers and bullheads. Gotta have big shiners or suckers for my favorite pursuit.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.