Flatheads ?

• stillwaiting
    rochester mn

What types of area’s do you look for or normally target for flatheads ? Don’t have very much experience want to get out and give it a shot

coleycrawler
    Minneapolis

On pool 2 by the barges (sp?) I’ve heard big ones being caught from shore. I’d try looking for places where you see the river with multiple current action. Deep holes, where there is cover and trees Down into the water. Try to fish below the spillways.
    Bait, use live bait of you can first. Then cast and leave still for 30 min. If nothing reel in and place bait in a diff area.

I think I know soooo much don’t I?

I don’t but I pretend to

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

If your fishing from shore or from a boat theres various places but one thing I look for is right next to logjams. Being in a boat gives you a few more choices from right next to shore to the deep water under the log jam. One of my favorite spots is a logjam right next too or in deep water and right next to the bank where its calm water. They come into these spots looking for small fish to eat because its a calm area and they can home in on whatever’s there plus flatheads have learned that alot of thier meals come from these smaller spots because some baitfish don’t like swimming in faster water. You’ll be able to see these calm or little flowing water spots but you have to get right on top of the logjam too see them. Throw a 4″ to 6″ bluegill right next to shore in a couple to a few feet of water with enough weight so that it doesn’t move, and just sit and wait, good luck. Ideal spots are between the closest log to the bank and the shoreline. Ideal depths are anywhere from 2′ to 6′ to 8′ and right next to shore in that calm water, by the logjam. Thats right where we get them on dittypoles or bank poles as their called too, that you stick into the bank.

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Not sure if we can use bluegill for bait here in Minnesota, but I could be wong. I’d try a bullhead or sucker on a 2-5 oz sinker in current seam areas.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Not sure if we can use bluegill for bait here in Minnesota, but I could be wong. I’d try a bullhead or sucker on a 2-5 oz sinker in current seam areas.

You are correct. No gamefish, which includes sunfish.

stillwaiting
    rochester mn

Thanks a lot guys gives me some ideas on where to start looking .

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya Jig, I’m used to using Bluegill as a term for bait because its been legal here since I was a kid. Its been that way for so long hardly anyone uses bullheads. Believe it or not bullheads are in fairly short supply here, not so many of them.

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Never been around Rochester fishing but up here around the twin cities the Minnesota river and pool 2 are good spots. Current seams or log jam areas should hold some catfish. I’ve had my best luck from 8pm-2am. I’ve also had better luck fishing less than 8 feet of water. Good luck hope u catch a few beasts! Stop in at everts or a baitshop and I’m sure they could point you in the right direction or at worst offer a few tips.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.