LaCrosse June 5th

• joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

I can hitch a ride up to LaCrosse this weekend, how is the bite? The rivers in the middle of Iowa are all really high right now. What’s it like up there and does anyone have any pointers for me? Or should I wait until the water mellows out a bit?

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

The river up here is high, and getting higher. Fish are still being caught though.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

We were getting lots of channels out of Isle Le Plume this weekend throwing crawlers. Lots of dinks/mid-sized, but a few that were in the 3-5lb range.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

Is that one of the islands you boat into?

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

It’s actually right off the 7th street landing. As you take a right from the landing there are two sloughs there. They call that Isle Le Plume for whatever reason?? Maybe DanWI would know?

The should call it Isle Le Puke as much as it smells down there.

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

The river should be peaking out around the sixth of June at around ten and a half feet. I was out last night on pool 7 and it’s really not too bad as far as debris. It’s muddy, of course, but I don’t find that to be a factor too much with the cats. I got two flats last night. The only problem with the water level is that it will be breaching its banks in places and there just gets to be a lot more water to choose from when catting. If it’s a decision between going now and waiting two weeks – it’s a hard call to make. I’d say the channels will be hot on the prespawn/spawn bite in two weeks or so, but it’s not like they’re completely shut down now. As far as waiting til the water mellows – you can never bank on conditions all coming together right in the future. Moon phase is about right for this weekend – first few days past full – not sure if you believe the moon is a factor (not sure I do either).

Happy Hunting,

Matt

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

Thanks guys. I need something to do when I go up there so my FatherInLaw doesn’t talk my head completely off.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

Jeremiah, thanks for the info. I didn’t pinpoint the best place to go in there. I certainly didn’t explore the whole area. It kind of threw me off that the water was flowing hardcore into the slough. Sometime I would like to bring my boat there but it’s not that big and someplace like that is more my sized. Can you boat a long ways back in there? I really just saw what I could from the road for the most part. But thanks guys. This would be a big one in Iowa if the file works!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.