new to me catfish bait

• jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Well i was shorefishing pool 2 in crosby park lastnight. I was walking the shoreline looking for agates and saw a few frogs scurrying around. I jokingly hooked it through the leg and tossed it out 20 feet. Not even 10 minutes later i got my pb best channel cat this year. Didnt weigh or measure it but did mange to snap a quick picture. Anyone else have any luck using frogs for ccatfish on the river??

jiggin-rake

my pb best channel cat this year.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Not sure about cats, but I know a lot of old timers talk about using frogs for Walleyes, so I’d imagine cats would eat them also.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I think its a time of year thing. Frogs migrate back to the water in the fall. Fish know this and will key in on them. Been on a few bites in other areas that pulling walleyes off a shore line and they are full of frogs. Couple years back we found a under cut gravel bank tat was full of frogs and just off the bank was a pile hungry small mouth waiting for them. Wouldnt surprise me that the cats are keying in on the same thing.

Thought I heard up on the Red River frogs can be a popular bait.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Cats will eat frogs whenever they can lay a whisker on them. They will also eat tadpoles and really anything else they can catch that will fit in their pie holes. Nice fish.

jiggin-rake

Thanks guys.. do toads work as well?

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Salamanders work awesome too. Just haven’t been able to get my hands on any for a few years.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

Nah toads stink

jerry b
    western WI

Quote:

Nah toads stink

Even a catfish knows that toad pee gives ya warts jerr

igotone

Quote:

Thanks guys.. do toads work as well?

yes we use sand toads here on hte Big Souix River

just step on them after U put them on the hook

thebigfishman
    Apple Valley, MN

Frogs are my favorite bait for channels when I can find them. This year all the channel cats that I’ve caught on the cannon river, lake tetonka, lake sakatah and cannon lake by faribault have bit on frogs. Also caught several on pool 2, even caught a couple flats on them this year.

Take Care and Tight Lines!!
    Kevin

jiggin-rake

Also seen 6 schools of minnows heading upstream right at dark. They were about 15 feet off shore by a inside bend in the river. If the rains hold off im gonna try my luck again tonight. Maybe hook into a walleye or smallie this time.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.