Blue gills and cat

• Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

Went out last Sat afternoon a couple of hours. Had 4 nice big channel cat in no time using oly a spec of a crawler. Wanted to get some blue gill. So what were the cat doing in blue gill territory? Then went yesterday again in the cold and wind for gills again. So guess what. In 2 to 3 ft of water I was getting really big channel cat and sheephead again. Cats are like around 5 lbs ea. Are a ball to catch in those pads on a small hook. And yesterday was a total differnt area than Sat. Talked to some people that were coming in from fishing that had a nice bunch of gills.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I’d bet those cats are males and they are guarding the spawning nests for a couple weeks after the spawn. Now that you know where they spawn go there a couple weeks earlier next year and target those cats and you might find some giant females in that same area.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

That sounds like thier on the feed bag Mary right befor spawn, thats what it was like last year in the shallows here running ditty poles, all the channels were nice size. If your not getting any females then like Kev said there the males. Good luck if you go back.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Good to see you are out and about Marry
    Cats or gills….it’s all good

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

These were all both male and female. Eggs not really ready as yet but soon. Had some lunkers going over 5 lbs. Felt good to have that tug at end of the line again. Hope you all have a great summer

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

fishing the wisconsin river and i had the same problem mary – between three of us we had over 30 cats and the females were loaded with eggs

catman89
    MLPS

wish we could use gills in MN

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.