Catching fish

• Umy
    South Metro

How about this. Went fishing yesterday- caught a BUNCH of these 2-3.5 lbs.
    Throwing the chatterbait to shore and pulling back out to about 7 feet. Half were caught around docks as I cranked back out and half from the areas between homeowner’s docks.
    Some spots had weeds, some were sandy bottom. Didn’t seem to matter to the fish.
    Most were caught in the shady side of the lake and the shade around the docks but not all.
    Water temp was 75-78, It had rained in THAT area the night before and I caught them between 7:00 am and 10:00 am.
    Top of the water had the green film on it. There was no film on it last Wednesday.
    This lake has a maximum depth of about 14 feet.
    Lots of fish grabbing stuff on the surface too – way more than usual.
    2 other boats on it so a pretty nice morning.
    Met a great guy on the dock on the way out who fishes it regularly – a new friend
    Pretty fun morning.
    A more “fun” post for me instead of my usual responses lately.

Attachments:
    1. Chatterbait-.png

Umy
    South Metro

Never have it ALL work the first time

Attachments:
    1. Cedar-lake-2-7-25-23.jpg

2. Chatterbait-1-1.png

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I do not believe fishing related stuff is allowed on this forum. I believe you have to revert back to redit or some other type of website similar. Lol jester

In all seriousness the docks have been my only bites the last 2 weeks. Deep hasn’t been in my favor. I have never put a Beaver on a chatterbait before but If they were taking that I bet they would have loved it Texas rigged

Umy
    South Metro

Bearcat, I was reluctant to use the “F” ( fish) word but but bit the bullet and did it anyway mrgreen

My first time ever using that combo.
    I actually saw it on the Friday morning Bassmasters show where they have teams of 3 competing and they were on Lake Ida up by Alexandria.
    Figured, what the hell – sure was a winner.
    Yeah, been fishing a lot of drop shots too with little success. Topwater early am has been slow but decent at nite.
    On the same lake there was a guy I met last week out there and he caught a 38″ Muskie on a whopper plopper fishing for Bass. They only caught smaller bass on the topwater. Most of the ones I caught were pretty decent sized ( at least enough to be fun on the end of the line) – catching fish, any fish, is always fun for me.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I love catching anything. I’m not good enough to catch big fish every time. I’ll have to try the Beaver on a chatterbait some time. Thinking out side the box.

tim hurley

Good job Umy. For me if I know I will get 3x on a jig than a top water I will take the toppy, so much fun-if you know the lake & know where fish set up, might want to give the top water maybe a half hour and move on, some days they just will not hit that thing. My 2 cents.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If I throw top waters I throw big top waters. I don’t throw anything small. Whopper ploppers in the 110 and 130 nothing smaller. Wake baits and hedons the same size. Only top water i throw smaller is a standard frog but that’s in heavy pads and slop.

Umy
    South Metro

Top water is THE BEST
    NOTHING better than watching that explosion as they nail it.
    CHoppo is my go to in bone white.
    Yeah, seems the top water bite is or isn’t.
    I love frogs but personally do not have very good hook up success. I keep practicing though.

Riverrat

I’ve been chucking BIG plastics as well. 12-14″ worms, Chatterbaits with big trailers. I tried a few frogs but didn’t get nearly as much interest as the bigger baits, and the fish were much bigger.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Top water is THE BEST
    NOTHING better than watching that explosion as they nail it.
    CHoppo is my go to in bone white.
    Yeah, seems the top water bite is or isn’t.
    I love frogs but personally do not have very good hook up success. I keep practicing though.

Bend the hooks out a little, trim the skirts and let the fish take it down. Immediate hook sets on blow ups loose every fish for me

tim hurley

Also love to throw a Choppo.Bone for me too, fun stuff-even like getting pike on them.

Umy
    South Metro

Amen Tim
    Will do that next time I’m out Bear- thanks guys

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.