cat pic

• rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

OK, we need opinions on this picture……bobcat or mountain lion. Seems to be a solid color and if you look closely at the tail it seems to be short with a black tip. You can look past the black tip in the same plane and it looks like the tail extends horizontally.

Attachments:
    1. cat.jpg

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

Looks like the ears are pointy with with black tips as well, I would guess bobcat. Depending on how far north this was could be a Lynx. I know around the the Gunflint Trail they have spotted a few. Cool pic.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Hose cat….. coffee

Sharon
    SE Metro

I’m going to say mountain lion. The fur and body length just say mountain lion to me, so perhaps the tail is just not showing well in the pic. Either way, she’s pretty. )

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Hose cat….. coffee

With the undergrowth height a “”hose” cat wouldn’t be seen….

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Ear markings look like bobcat to me. I can’t see the long tail clearly enough to say it has one.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

It would be interesting to measure the width of that bigger tree on the left and then use that as a scale to determine the overall length of the cat. Best guess is bobcat. The IR flash can do funny things to colors depending on the angle, so just based on what I believe to be the height and length, I’m going to guess bobcat.

Where was the picture taken? Mountain Lion is certainly not out of the realm of possibility, but unless I’m totally misjudging the scale and distances in the picture, this doesn’t look big enough for what I’d expect.

Grouse

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

First reaction was bobcat but that part that looks like a longer tail is intriguing.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

The pic was taken outside Galesville, WI. His neighbor and wife swear they saw a mountain lion across the highway from where the picture was taken.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

IMO cougar….The body length between front and rear legs looks too long for a bobcat…..to me….

Jeff Schomaker

Mountain Lion…. Shoulder is way to muscular to be a Bob

deertracker

That front shoulder makes me think mountain lion. Very intriguing.
    DT

lundojam

Mountain lion all the way.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

The pic was taken outside Galesville, WI. His neighbor and wife swear they saw a mountain lion across the highway from where the picture was taken.

Well $!#/, better make sure my wife doesn’t see this, she will never let my son outside. Moved to Southside of galesville this spring.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Flathead.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hairs too short to be a bobcat, the front half says cougar all the way.

Iowaboy1

I am no expert,but to me it looks more like a cougar,I have dispatched a few bobcats in my time,and the face on this cat appears to be too long for a bobcat and it is less rounded like a bobcats head would be.
    to bad the tail is hidden in the foliage,that would be the definitive piece of the puzzle along with a face on shot,to me a bobcats tail is more stocky looking at the rump than what this appears to be. hope to see a daytime shot of this animal.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Chupacabra.

Iowaboy1

I got it!!!! its bruce jenners dog!!!!!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’m in with the cougar guys but I think Stuart has hit it. The animal looks young and accounts for how low it is to the understory in the picture.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.