Casual Catfishing Trip Turned Serious

• just-fish
    Portage, Wi

Around 6:oo p.m. last Thursday night I decided last minute to take my son out on the water and just take in the nice evening weather. I just wanted to be lazy and sit with a night crawler on the bottom for whatever would bite. I found a likely catfish hole and set up with just a walleye rod, jig head, and nightcrawler on the bottom. Being lazy. We got a bite right away and had a heavy fish on for about 30 seconds when it pulled off. A little while later, the same thing happened. Then we caught a small flathead. That was fun. A little while after that another heavy fish came unbuttoned and I realized this spot was loaded with big catfish that I wasn’t getting a hook into. Now I’m excited about the next night!!
    Friday night I returned with heavy gear and cut bait to see if I was right and what unfolded was a night to remember. A nice 6-8 lb channel cat was in the boat within the first 5 minutes. Then a about a 10-12lb flathead. Then it slowed until about an hour before dark when we had another fish on but it felt kind of funny. That’s because this was no catfish but a 28-3/4″ Walleye! Obviously my 7 year old son’s personal best. A feat that took me nearly 20 years longer to acheive. But we weren’t done yet. A short time later it was my daughter’s turn to out do me with a catfish bigger than any I have ever caught. A 36″ flathead pushing 20 lbs!!! FUN,FUN,FUN!!! Unfortunately my wife and oldest daughter decided to stay home (bad decision ladies) but what a trip. My kids are still buzzing and to be honest so am I. I love fishing!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1787.jpg

2. IMG_1789.jpg

3. IMG_1780.jpg

4. IMG_1773.jpg

5. IMG_1790.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Don’t cha just love it when the unexpected happens!

I’m sure those kids… all three of them will remember that trip for a very long time!

just-fish
    Portage, Wi

Don’t cha just love it when the unexpected happens!
    <P></P>
    <P>I’m sure those kids… all three of them will remember that trip for a very long time! </P>

There’s no doubt we will remember. I have to tell you Brian, there are a lot of big flatheads in this area and I really don’t think their targeted at all. Most fish we see and here about come from incidental catches by walleye guys and other fisherman. I haven’t really catfished since I was a kid but this has my interest up and I might just have to get serious about it and see just what this system has to offer up!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Absolutely nothing wrong with that! Nothing better than fast fishing catfish, especially with kids )

Bryan Myers

What an awesome trip! Everyone will remember that trip for a long time!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.