Early Report

• mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

I might get up dated here in a short bit, but my bro did call with a report from this a.m.’s fishing. First the skeeters are thick!!! So are the catfish!!! Apparently, Bro talked with guide Jerry Tipping and he seemed to think the best bite going was on CR with the crappies. Walleyes were being caught, mostly in the slot and not fast and furious.

I told my brother, I’d catch 15-20″ channels for a while… Maybe I should suggest I bring an extra musky rod and we go up river…

Mark

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Well here was our day on the Pete. We got down there just shy of ten a.m. Bro and his son had been on the west side of the lake working a point/channel edge combo that had the wind on it. Nothing to show for it, so after coming back to pick me up we headed for the south lake. We were going to hit a small rocky inside turn, then troll if that wasn’t going gang busters. After a couple of smallies showed themselves on the location, we set up to troll a channel area off the river. Running a combo of wally divers, shad raps on hot’n’tots, up and down this off area channel. This trolling run resulted in a small smb.

So we ran up to the north end thinking that fish were still dispersing from the river and into post spawn locations. Our first spot was a shallow spot close to the channel edge along with a fair amount of wood in the location. Nothing happening in this location , so we weren’t too far from the catfish hole of Sat. We slunk down there and messed around for and hour or so, killing some minnows and crawlers catching several channel cats ranging from 12 to 20″, some white bass and a small ‘eye. After looking over the map, we were off to another spot that had a deeper hole in the channel area to see if hold some fish that didn’t seem to be in any of the other shallower areas. Unfortunately, we had motor problems which forced us to use the kicker to get back to the landing. Probably saved our bodies from a little more sunburn. It was beauty day shared with family!!!

Sunday a.m., we started around 6:30 by wandering out on Castle Rock and toward the Yellow River arm. We started by hitting one of the old piling structures from the old high lines. We moved three more times up the river channel towards the Buckhorn bridge. We connected with some crappies on the last spot closest to the bridge. By 9 a.m. it was time to pull the plug as I had to be back in Minocqua to work Rollie and Helen’s by one. Didn’t mop on any fish, but had a great time in the boat.

Mark

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.