Another day of Petenwell Fun

• wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Today CLWuensch and I decided to make a run to Petenwell to see if we could find some eyes relating to main lake points. We were not dissapointed.

We arrived to a boat landing with only one other vehicle in the parking lot. As we were putting the boat in, the only other boat was getting ready to pull out. It’s unbelievable to me sometimes how little fishing pressure this body of water gets during the open water.

We headed to our first breakline about 1 mile from the boat launch. We planned to pull three way rigs with fatheads and streamer flys, or fatheads and floating jigs. CLWuensch got his first line in the water and pulled a 14″ eye before he could get the other line in.

There were about 2 footers rolling in from the north east so we had to move to the south facing breakline (north end of the bay we were working). As soon as I turned off the trolling motor to let the wind push us, I was rewarded with a 23+ inch eye pushing 5lbs.

We worked this area for a few hours with a few nice eaters and a lot of shorts coming to the boat. And of course, since CLWuensch is also known as Captain Carp, he had to get one big boogerlips in. About 3 hours after the first 23″ eye I had another solid hit on a streamer fly and landed another eye pushing 24″ that was over 5lbs.

All in all, we had a great time catching about 40-50 eyes, 5 crappies, 1 carp, 1 channel cat and 1 32″ carp. I hope to get back again soon.

The last picture shows our vehicle as the only one in the entire lot.

Jeff Bennett
    Lake Puckaway Wi.

Great job fishing guys , nice how you are all alone on the lake some times.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Good job Marshall. Where exactly did you catch the crappies at?

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Looks like a good day.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

You guys didn’t hold anyone up at the launch did ya

Good day you 2

marbleyes
    Holmen, WI

Good job boys. I new you still had it in ya Curt.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.