Cass Lake spearing ban

• timmy

With the lifting of the ban on Cass Lake Spearing, when is the lake open to this? Is it immediate for the opener of the 2011 season?

Inquiring minds want to know……

T

mule170
    Bemidji

I dont have any info for you, but ive always wanted to go spear fishing! Im moving to bemidji in november, so if you ever need any company look me up

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

Let the destruction of a trophy fishery begin…

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

It seems like the things we once did in the past that seemed normal, like eating fish, are so politically incorrect now. Pretty soon we’ll have to go hunting with rubber bullets and arrows with corks on the end. I have to admit, I throw back most fish I catch, but I would LOVE to go spearfishing, sounds like a good time to me. But, I’m politically incorrect in most situations. I guess fishing is now included.

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

I am pretty sure its game come opener or when the ice is good.

Ya its funny how some people think its wrong to keep fish these days or only trophy hunt. I fish to eat fish and for the fun, if I get a trophy its a bonus! IMO guys who go out and do nothing but catch and release kill more fish during the summer then the guy who catches a limit and calls it a day.

Josh Runksmeier
    Pequot Lakes, MN

In the spearing world catch and releace is NOT throwing the spear I think spearing open on Dec 1, not sure

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

I am not against spearing. I just think you should not spear a world class trophy pike and muskie lake.

timmy

Quote:

I dont have any info for you, but ive always wanted to go spear fishing! Im moving to bemidji in november, so if you ever need any company look me up

To those of you that are serious….You can PM me.

Skeeter20 has it figured out. He is a sportsman that respects the resource, but isn’t afraid to kill a nice fish for himself…. good job, Corey.

I like discussing and introducing people to the sport. Whether people CPR or not, fishing is a blood sport. If you catch, fish die —- period. Spearfisherman decide absolutely whether or not a fish dies….and it isn’t an accident when a fish bites the dust….lol.

T

merkman

I am not against catch and release as an important PART of proper resource management.

However, I am against the catch and release only and or “no kill” mentality, no matter if it comes from fellow sportsmen or PETA themselves.

I am also against the kill’em all mentality.

I can assure you that Darkhouse spearing does not fall into either of those two groups.

It amazes me to think that the state of Minnesota has trusted me for 20 plus years to responsibly harvest northern pike on Cass Lake via hook and line without restriction or damage to the resource but they can’t trust me to do the same with a darkhouse spear? So the state can trust me to return a large pike that is IN MY HANDS after being caught by hook and line, yet I can’t be trusted release the same fish when darkhouse spearing by simply not throwing the spear while it is swimming below me?

Is a northern pike really somehow more dead if it is killed by a spear than if it is killed by a hook and line?

Don’t let the smoke and mirrors fool you, this is not about darkhouse spearing vs hook and line fishing, this is about the right to responsibly harvest northern pike on Minnesota lakes by any method.

These anti-harvest sportsmen’s groups don’t know when to quit. They have closed the winter catch and release season on muskies in Minnesota… (YES they worked to close the catch and release season in the winter!!!! I hope they told the muskie not to bite in the winter…)the big question is do you want the northern pike to follow the same well beaten path?

Ask yourself…. just how will the CO know if you are legally targeting northern pike in the winter (catch and release or for responsible harvest) or illegaly targeting muskies when the same equipment is used for both? The answer of course will be to shut down winter fishing of northern pike.

Their first step is to eliminate harvest by Darkhouse spearing. Then eliminate all winter harvest… then turn the northern pike into a summer time only/catch and release only species… if you don’t believe it look at where the muskie is in Minnesota today.

It may have taken 20+ years; but MN finally made it right to the people and fishery of Cass Lake.

You better believe I will be there supporting the community that made it happen!!

See you in December of this year on Cass Lake, with a spear in my hand and a smile on my face.

A Big Thanks goes out to all those who fought hard and long to return our fishing rights and privileges from those who wish to take them away from us.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

I’m dead set against spearing but will admit I really don’t know much about it.

What is the penalty for taking fish outside of the slot limits? Is there a penalty for spearing a Muskie? How much time do you have once you see the fish striking the decoy or bait to when you need to throw the spear? Will a novice be able to quickly and accurately identify a Pike vs Muskie?

I’m not being a wise guy or smart a _ _ or looking to start a fight. I really don’t know the answers but would like to.

Also, how many tongs are on a spear? Are their different sizes or do you make your own?

timmy

Quote:

What is the penalty for taking fish outside of the slot limits? Is there a penalty for spearing a Muskie? How much time do you have once you see the fish striking the decoy or bait to when you need to throw the spear? Will a novice be able to quickly and accurately identify a Pike vs Muskie?

I’m not being a wise guy or smart a _ _ or looking to start a fight. I really don’t know the answers but would like to.

Also, how many tongs are on a spear? Are their different sizes or do you make your own?

1) I believe the penalties are the same as for hook-n-liners who violate the laws.

2) Usually you have a little time – definately enough to practice good judgement. Personally – If it looks close to a slot size – then it gets passed on.

3) If you can tell the difference when a fish is out of the water – you can tell when it is in. The fish are remarkably easy to tell apart. The first ‘ski I ever saw while spearing amazed me. All I could see was its head and I knew immediately what it was.

4) My spear has 7 tines and is home made. My 73 yr old uncle gave it to me – his father made it about 70 yrs ago.

T

merkman

Quote:

If you ever want to learn just sit in with a darkhouse spearer.

I darkhouse spear across the state and if you are interested in seeing what it is about just let me know. I will meet you on the lake of your choice and you can check it out.

You can cut the hole, lift the block out, set up the house, or just set in once all that is done. What ever you choose.

If you haven’t experienced it, it is something you will never forget.

If you don’t get into the spearing aspect there is nothing stopping you from sight fishing from a darkhouse.

Just let me know if you would like to try it sometime, my spear shack is always open.

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Quote:

To those of you that are serious….You can PM me.

Skeeter20 has it figured out. He is a sportsman that respects the resource, but isn’t afraid to kill a nice fish for himself…. good job, Corey.

I like discussing and introducing people to the sport. Whether people CPR or not, fishing is a blood sport. If you catch, fish die —- period. Spearfisherman decide absolutely whether or not a fish dies….and it isn’t an accident when a fish bites the dust….lol.

T

Thanks, I am all about conservation and but not afraid using the resources at hand, that’s what they are there for. I kill what I am going to eat or put on the wall end of story.

Many people who are against spearing think that all we do is sit out there and spear everything we see including walleye and musky! Far from the truth, sure there are guys who break the law but that happens in the summer time as well(probably more so) and hunting. There are many days I sit in the spear house and wont spear anything. I enjoy watching them as much as spearing them. Its like a whole new deer season

We will be up there as soon as the ice is good Tim, PM as the time comes. Meet up with out there or something. Here is a good eater from last year and one thats on the wall from 2 yrs ago.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Quote:

In the spearing world catch and releace is NOT throwing the spear I think spearing open on Dec 1, not sure

actually i believe it really opens on or about nov 15th. crazy i know but……and i also agree with merkman!!!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.