Car Jackings

• Rick Z
    Stark MN

Three teenagers were arrested in the car jackings in Edina. According to Bring Me the News, they were beating a lady and ran over another guy when a bystander with a permit to carry pulled a gun and the fled the scene. Crazy, right in broad daylight.

tornadochaser

And my twin cities relatives still don’t understand why all of their outstate friends and family seek shopping and entertainment options in Sioux Falls or Fargo rather than driving to the cities.
    Glad an armed citizen intervened though.

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

Three teenagers were arrested in the car jackings in Edina. According to Bring Me the News, they were beating a lady and ran over another guy when a bystander with a permit to carry pulled a gun and the fled the scene. Crazy, right in broad daylight.

Channel 4 news said they beat the victim with a cordless drill
    Making the victim believe it was a gun. Then ran like hell when someone showed up with a conceal permit pulled out his weapon

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

This is why I carry. With our shop being in Camden/ n mpls we see and deal with some not so nice people. The young ones seem to not care at all. They do these violent crimes for bragging rights

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

And my twin cities relatives still don’t understand why all of their outstate friends and family seek shopping and entertainment options in Sioux Falls or Fargo rather than driving to the cities.

And this is why Sioux Falls is an absolute Sh** Show come friday night-sunday

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Last month I complained to the Woodbury police dept they were not offering descriptions in the rash of recent car jackings in my city so that my wife and I could at least be more aware. They responded with the victims being under stress and too distraught to give descriptions. I informed them there hade been over a dozen and that it was statistically impossible not to have a description. No response. This is being allowed to get out of control.
    Luckily I have a source in law enforcement where I can get the truth but everyone should get that same information. Its not too much to ask for things like height, sex, age, race, etc.

Rick Z
    Stark MN

I wonder what would have happened if the teenager would have went after the armed citizen and he shot the teenager? The teenager being armed with a drill.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tornadochaser wrote:</div>

And this is why Sioux Falls is an absolute Sh** Show come friday night-sunday

i spent 13 years going to sioux falls roughly 4 times each year, but never on a weekend……kinda liked meandering through some of the stores down there!!!!

Umy
    South Metro

Last month I complained to the Woodbury police dept they were not offering descriptions in the rash of recent car jackings in my city so that my wife and I could at least be more aware. They responded with the victims being under stress and too distraught to give descriptions. I informed them there hade been over a dozen and that it was statistically impossible not to have a description. No response. This is being allowed to get out of control.
    Luckily I have a source in law enforcement where I can get the truth but everyone should get that same information.

this practice started about 3 years ago ( or longer) at the U of M. Were not allowed to give descriptions of the offenders, according to what I watched on the “news” re: the sexual assaults that were happening there.
    It IS RIDICULOUS and you are so right Suzuki.

CaptainMusky

I wonder what would have happened if the teenager would have went after the armed citizen and he shot the teenager? The teenager being armed with a drill.

I am glad there was a legally armed citizen to diffuse the situation, but also glad they didnt use it because we all know how this wouldve ended and it wouldnt be on the “good guys” side.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We would be watching the families on the news talking about how they were such good boys, changing there lives for the better.

Deuces

Pretty freaking retarded if you ask me to rob anyone anywhere near Edina. That’s not bold, that’s utterly stupid. U just got every rich person with connections on your as$

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Pretty freaking retarded if you ask me to rob anyone anywhere near Edina. That’s not bold, that’s utterly stupid. U just got every rich person with connections on your as$

Well I imagine they don’t want to rob the poor. And being its Edina, its literally blocks away from the slums

Stanley

Good for that armed citizen to put their life and freedom on the line for complete strangers. Can’t say I would have done the same with the current political and social climate we are currently in.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I would be interested to know under MN law, can deadly force be used to stop a carjacking if the perp displays a weapon? Since you can’t use deadly force to protect property alone, I’d think it would be highly risky?

Does anyone know of any real cases in MN where an armed citizen shot a carjacker and what was the outcome?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Good for that armed citizen to put their life and freedom on the line for complete strangers. Can’t say I would have done the same with the current political and social climate we are currently in.

I think I would have done the same. Until people and those around them start to stand up and defend themselves this kind of thing is going to keep happening. As the Saying goes ” I’d rather be Judged by 12 than Carried by 6 ”

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I would be interested to know under MN law, can deadly force be used to stop a carjacking if the perp displays a weapon? Since you can’t use deadly force to protect property alone, I’d think it would be highly risky?

Does anyone know of any real cases in MN where an armed citizen shot a carjacker and what was the outcome?

You can protect others that are being hammered with a deadly threat. You can not protect the car. But if you are being threatened with a gun then you have a right to protect your self and others. That is where a self defense lawyer and insurance comes in.number one thing to do is not talk to any one after the defensive actions happen.we were taught to give no statements to the police. And this was taught to us from the sheriff and the lawyer directly

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Charles Bronson totally agrees.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<number one thing to do is not talk to any one after the defensive actions happen.

So true. Never say anything until after you get a Great lawyer. No matter how in the right you believe you are. There are lawyers who specialize in this situation and they may be all the difference in if you ever spend a day in jail or life in jail.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    <number one thing to do is not talk to any one after the defensive actions happen.

So true. Never say anything until after you get a Great lawyer. No matter how in the right you believe you are. There are lawyers who specialize in this situation and they may be all the difference in if you ever spend a day in jail or life in jail.

I support law enforcement to the fullest. Their job is tough. With that said, any officer who is on the job and takes issue with anything I would do, say, or have done isn’t going to get a statement out of me. It wouldn’t matter if it’s a life and death situation like originally posted, or something more minor. It’s just not worth it in a world where everything is recorded and words/attitudes/demeanors can be twisted by people not even at the interaction.

One example: A couple weeks ago a local law enforcement officer came knocking on our door in the country about an unregistered, immobile vehicle in front of one of our family’s rentals with a document from the city about an ordinance violation. They essentially wanted us to deal with it due to complaints…which isn’t my job and they can tow/extract the vehicle for all I care. When he finished telling me what he was there for, I promptly responded by asking if he wanted any fresh Christmas cookies my wife and daughter were baking and also wrote down the number of our family attorney on a post-it telling him to save the trip out here next time. I never even responded to what he was there for. I told him I’d see him at one of the local basketball games later that week and wished his son good luck as he walked away.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I would be interested to know under MN law, can deadly force be used to stop a carjacking if the perp displays a weapon?

“In fear of great bodily harm or death”.

Displaying a weapon changes it from property alone. Each incident will be different referring to how the weapon is displayed.

CaptainMusky

Displaying a weapon changes it from property alone. Each incident will be different referring to how the weapon is displayed.

Do you have to physically see it or would the fact they claimed they had one and acted as if it was beneath their clothing suffice? I saw a video the other day of a guy that stole a purse from an 87 year old woman and this other dude ran him down and was beating the snot out of him. It wasnt in MN.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you intend to jack a car, do the smart thing and carry a Yellow DeWalt screw gun vs the obvious deadlier Dark Blue Makita.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I better add on to my original post.

Few of the 2021 carjackings in MN involved weapons although there were 6 in November and none that I could find involve the owner of the car being “shot”. Some were hurt.

So just because they have a gun and tell you to get out of your care doesn’t necessarily mean your in fear of great bodily harm or death.

If you are lucky enough to get a one shot kill, there won’t be anyone to argue with you and if you get shot while your trying to get a second round off…well there’s your great bodily harm or death…

Either way…render aid. whistling

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brian Klawitter wrote:</div>

Do you have to physically see it or would the fact they claimed they had one and acted as if it was beneath their clothing suffice? I saw a video the other day of a guy that stole a purse from an 87 year old woman and this other dude ran him down and was beating the snot out of him. It wasnt in MN.

If a criminal is threatening to kill you, that can be taken as intent to harm. Therefore you have a right to stick up for your self.
    If your being robbed and some one pulls a gun, that is a intent to cause great bodily harm.
    If a guy is 6ft5 and you are 5 ft, and he starts to beat you, you have a right to protect your self due to great bodily harm.
    There are a million factors, situations and so on. Thats why you say nothing and hire a lawyer.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Active self protection is a great channel to watch on YouTube. If any one is interested in self protection

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

In my conceal and carry class I specifically asked the instructor if I saw someone being robbed should I help. He said his advice would always be to stay out of it and call the police while standing by and watching.

I don’t care of thats the best thing to do to protect yourself from jail time thats just not in my nature. If I ever saw somebody being assaulted ill be doing what I can to help. Hopefully I never have to be in that situation.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

In my conceal and carry class I specifically asked the instructor if I saw someone being robbed should I help. He said his advice would always be to stay out of it and call the police while standing by and watching.

I don’t care of thats the best thing to do to protect yourself from jail time thats just not in my nature. If I ever saw somebody being assaulted ill be doing what I can to help. Hopefully I never have to be in that situation.

You and me both.
    Sadly the state of mn is a protect the criminal kind of state. The laws are very grey. Keep your lips sealed until the lawyers show up. The the best thing the sheriff and lawyer told us. Police are not your friends even if you are 100 percent in the right.

Jason

I agree –

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20211221-140911_Google.jpg

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I’ll back up what Bearcat and others have said. Our instructor also said if you feel you are in danger of “great bodily harm or death”, you can defend yourself. Regardless if the attacker has a weapon or not. But, when it comes to defending another, that’s when it gets sticky and you better be dang sure you’re in the right. He used the analogy of a mall parking lot scenario. You see a man assaulting a women trying to pull her out of a car, holding a pistol. You don’t know if that’s an actual assault, or an undercover law enforcement officer attempting to make an arrest. IMO, the PTC individual in Edina did the right thing, but at tremendous risk.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.