Captain chair on Tiller?!?!

• Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

As I get older I seem to get lazier cough cough I mean wiser.

I have always thought a nice compact fishing captain chair (with arms that can go up and down) would be awesome. Especially since I mainly walleye fish. However, the only tiller I have ever seen recently with a captain chair on it is Aaron Wiebe’s alumacraft.

Anyone else have experience with them on a tiller? My boat, a V177, is narrower so this worries me a little.

Attached are a couple chairs I am considering along with a pic of my boat.

1) Option 1
    2) with head rest
    3) Chair 3, arms don’t move and it doesn’t fold

Attachments:
    1. IMG_5972.jpg

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Evan,
    You might want to look at using a seat spider, so you can move it around to suit.

HRG

Attachments:
    1. mike_matthews_boat_118.jpg

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Interesting HRG, I like the thought.

Any issues running big waves in that? I could see myself bouncing right out of the boat )

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I just went to a captains chair this year and so far it works well.. With that said,, I move around A LOT when I’m fishing and fish from both sides of the boat when I back troll so it’s not as nice as just being able to spin and slide around easily. My boat is 96″ wide so I have the room and not sure you would like it being a little narrower. I love the comfort but the jury is still out on the rest of it.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Evan,
    You might want to look at using a seat spider, so you can move it around to suit.

HRG

I’m pretty sure it’s illegal for the driver to use a chair that is not bolted down.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Hot Runr Guy wrote:</div>
    Evan,

HRG

I’m pretty sure it’s illegal for the driver to use a chair that is not bolted down.

Joe, you may be right, but West Coast builders like Duckworth and Weldcraft show spider seat bases for the driver in their tiller models,,,,,

HRG

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I believe this is correct in MN waters. I don’t even think you can have a removable pedestal in MN for the drivers seat. Pretty sure it has to be a mainstay.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

The exception on this page might make a difference,,,,,,,

HRG

Attachments:
    1. ABYC-seat-standards.pdf

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I believe this is correct in MN waters. I don’t even think you can have a removable pedestal in MN for the drivers seat. Pretty sure it has to be a mainstay.

I told you this was not the case….but no one ever believes the little guy ) Sometimes I just rock a cooler, be it unsafe, it isn’t illegal.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I just went to a captains chair this year and so far it works well

WB5, if you don’t mind, which one did you get for your boat?

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sticker wrote:</div>

I told you this was not the case….but no one ever believes the little guy ) Sometimes I just rock a cooler, be it unsafe, it isn’t illegal.

That isn’t MN law, it’s the American boat and yacht council. I’d check MN law and coast guard regulation, especially since most of your time on the water is on the river.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Evan,

HRG

HRG have you got a link for that chair? I’m looking for something like that for passengers in my boat. I’m not sure if I want to put pedestal seats back in my boat.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I don’t think I’ll ever own a boat with permanently mounted seats. I like to move them to distribute passenger weight how I want it and move them out of the way if I am camping in the boat for the night. Seat spiders for the win. A cheaper alternative for not much weight compared to the aluminum welded west coast style is this metal one. Cheap, sturdy. Fleet Farm had them at one point.

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Gear-Portable-Stand-Connect/dp/B07BB1HTCV/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1527010586&sr=8-2&keywords=boat+seat+spider

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Hot Runr Guy wrote:</div>
    Evan,

HRG

HRG have you got a link for that chair? I’m looking for something like that for passengers in my boat. I’m not sure if I want to put pedestal seats back in my boat.

hl&s, I found that in this thread: http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=362853

HRG

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Real sharp looking. I’m going to see if my bud will make something like that. I like how the legs go towards the center at the top. The support tray below I can see opportunities there.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I have (3) of the chairs HRG posted.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

I had two of the ones @alagnak linked. It was great when fishing solo, had the whole floor to move the seat around. No issues in waves for me.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Interesting HRG, I like the thought.

Any issues running big waves in that? I could see myself bouncing right out of the boat )

Evan I don’t know what you have for a boat & motor. I ran mine on a 18′ Tuffy with a 60 hp Yamaha. Never flipped out of the boat, never came close. I did have a hand rail I would grab if I saw a bigger wave headed my way but never felt I really needed it. I paid $300 each for mine must have been nearly 10 years ago now. I have no idea what they would cost today. I liked them so much I kept them when I sold the Tuffy but haven’t used them since. They just sit in my shed.

If you have a interest get ahold of me. We can meet and you can take one and use it a few times and see what you think. Mine are dark grey with light grey with fold up arms.

Attachments:
    1. DSC04890.jpg

2. DSC04889.jpg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Dutch if he doesn’t take them let me know.

I took out the back to back bench in my boat this winter and suprisingly the kiddos like it better open.

Almost lost Eyestudent on the river couple times last weekend in the lawn chair, looking for something more stable grin

Good post, great info as usual from all the fellas peace

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Nick, like I said I have 3 so I’m sure there will be at least 1 if you want it. What worked good for the passenger was to have a rope on the cleat like you use to tie the boat to the dock. When running just put both feet flat on the floor and hang onto the rope and you are real stable.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

You might not believe this or not but rounding a bend on the Mississippi back water here is my grandparents at 87 yrs old fishing out of their flat bottom tiller with their two lawn chairs and a umbrella in between them fishin panfish like they had for many years in the past. Grandad was in no hurry with his 25 hp and it was easy to see they were quite comfortable in the hot weather. We stopped close by to say Hi and bs a little of course they had a nice batch of gills and perch. I learned a lot of tricks from those two old lovebirds, but have never fished from a lawn chair in a boat or ever thought about it. They both past away when they were 98 yrs. old and holding hands at all times darn near. RIP Shorty and Georgia God bless.
    No intent to hijack this post just brought back some damn good memories.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

We all can only hope we are remembered as fondly after our time is up.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Sweet, will let ya know when i may be out that way again. Wont be for couple weeks most likely with schedule right now.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Evan I don’t know what you have for a boat & motor. I ran mine on a 18′ Tuffy with a 60 hp Yamaha.

See OG post and pic ) V177 with 75HP 2S Merc. You have peaked my interest and that chair looks good. I believe those tuffy’s are narrower too so probably similar to my Warwagon. PM me what you would want for them. I would probably only want one captain’s chair.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The seats were not made for my Tuffy. They were made by Lake Assualt Boats but I used them in the Tuffy. Like I said I paid like $300 each so I would think they should be worth $150 each?

It will work perfectly with your boat. In fact if it doesn’t i’ll give you your money back.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

The seats were not made for my Tuffy. They were made by Lake Assualt Boats but I used them in the Tuffy. Like I said I paid like $300 each so I would think they should be worth $150 each?

It will work perfectly with your boat. In fact if it doesn’t i’ll give you your money back.

Hey, don’t forget my cut for suggesting the seat on a stand idea,,,,,,,,

HRG

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.