Cane Poles

• happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

Anyone have experience fishing with cane poles? While working a submerged top the other day for bluegills I sometimes struggled with trying to cast into the different areas since the fish wanted the lure tight to the structure. A cane pole seems like the potential answer, but I’m also worried about dealing with the many snags. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ryan

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

You betcha! It’s an acquired talent, learning to lift straight up and swing the fish toward the net-man.

No reel, no drag, just mano a mano.

HRG

Attachments:
    1. IMG001131.jpg

Ripjiggen

Yes I have. Like stated important to lift straight up. I often crappie fish in thick reeds in the spring with a can pole. It’s also important to know what you are working and the depth to drop lure.

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

“mano a mano”…love it!!!

catmando
    wis

I have a zip rod, cane pole with eyes, add reel, its a hoot, use it the old way or with a reel, small fish seem Huge!

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

Broke mine out of storage last week. Put a new piece of mono on and had a ball catching sunnies the next morning. Will definitely keep using them. Forgot how much simple fun they where.

eyefishwalleye
    Central MN

Back in the 70’s on Mille Lacs Vineland Bay we trolled daredevils on cane poles & when we smacked a northern we just tossed the pole overboard and followed it until it quit moving. It was a hoot!

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

You guys are getting me excited! Thanks for all of the replies. waytogo

The_Bladepuller
    South end

Back in the 70’s on Mille Lacs Vineland Bay we trolled daredevils on cane poles & when we smacked a northern we just tossed the pole overboard and followed it until it quit moving. It was a hoot!

As a kid I’d do the same thing around Wahkon. Get a hot spell in August and distressed Tulibees a big spoon and a cane pole & our F7 w/ a 10hp Evinrude was this kids tuna boat.

bigpike

Back in the day, Uncle Ervin fished exclusively with a cane pole and waders
    Man could that guy catch fish. God rest his soul!

Deuces

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyefishwalleye wrote:</div>

As a kid I’d do the same thing around Wahkon. Get a hot spell in August and distressed Tulibees a big spoon and a cane pole & our F7 w/ a 10hp Evinrude was this kids tuna boat.

Those poles were great for sticking those baits right on those weedlines, super fun.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Eelpout just picked up a Goture 540 (about 18’) cane pole and was asking me about how to fish with them. I have never used one so I don’t know. What would be some of the general tips one would have for a first timer with these rods? There is no reel or guides on this rod. I am not sure how one would swing a short direct tie line into the boat without doing some dancing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.