Clay Lake – Near Vermillion Bay

• ms75449
    Lake City, MN

Just want to share some pictures from my Canadian fishing trip to Clay Lake the last week of May. The late spring made fishing a little more of a challenge this year. However, we still had a blast. If only I could spend two weeks up there!

The walleyes were very shallow this year (6 FOW or less). The best technique for walleyes turned out to be trolling #10 Husky Jerks… something that I had previously learned to do with James on Mille Lacs at night. It’s easier to do in the day time.

As the weather warmed up later in the week, the smallies started to heat up too. Ed and I had a surreal day of smallie fishing on Thursday. We caught over 130 fish that day. The bait of the day… take a close look at the 1st picture and you’ll see a Jimmy D’s 1/16th olive river bug still in the smallie’s mouth. Two days earlier, I caught my PB smallie at a tad over 20”. However, someone (me) left the camera behind in camp that day.

19″ plus smallie. Pictured and released.

Two cookie cutter 18” plus smallies from our “surreal” day of fishing. Pictured and released.

My PB 28″ walleye caught the last 1/2 hour of the last day. Pictured and released.

Our biggest northern at 38″. The fish had the lure so deep that I had to cut the hooks off of the lure in order to get the HJ out of its mouth. Pictured and released.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.