NW Angle in June

• keepcasting
    Excelsior

I am looking for some feedback on the NW Angle durring the end of June. Our group is considering trying the Angle to combine the begining of muskie season and catch some walleyes. I have been there once before, but strickly for muskies in october. What is the walleye fishing like in June in that area? With decent conditions can a person get pretty consistant action, size? Any feedback on previous trips is appreciated. Thanks!

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Muskie opener is a great time to be there! New weed growth will have walleyes and muskies, and sun-soaked rocks will have smallies and muskies. You could probably throw a 1/2 ounce spinnerbait and catch all three in either type of location. If you’re lookin for a place to stay, I highly recommend Bay Store: http://www.baystorecamp.com Muskie opener is a really popular time to visit the Angle, so book ASAP.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

John has some great, valid pionts.

However;
    I did the muskie opener once and won’t do it again. Not my style of fishing for both the walleyes and the muskies. Not saying it is wrong, just not my preference.

Give me Mid-to-late July in the Narrows:
    I like fishing the reef walleyes towards the main basin to find the big tunas. Normally, late June (like you are talking) leads to hundred fish days in the Narrows, jig fishing male walleyes in the pinches of islands. The chance at a true pig has the odds stacked against you.

As with the Narrows, I also like targeting a little different structure for the big muskies (Mainly “deep water access”), that those fish just are not concentrated in those areas that early in the year. Going the route I prefer generally puts us on the “larger population” scale of big muskies.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.