Red Lake Outpost

• Hillbiehle

We are flying out of Red Lake in mid-August. It’s been 5 years since we fished there and I have trouble recalling the appropriate leadhead jigs. Need help.

If I’m back-trolling and bouncing a jig directly below the boat with 8 to 10lb test, in 20+ feet of water, would 1/2oz be too much?

I’ve loaded up on the 1/4 oz and 3/8 oz, but I seem to recall that with these weights, the jigs would drift back beyond 45 degrees from the boat. Any advice?

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

When I am fishing in that area I use a lot of both 3/8th and 1/2 oz jigs. My first choice is always a 3/8th oz and only use the 1/2 when I am in current. If you can keep your back trolling speed slow enough to use the 3/8th oz that would be my choice.

Most of the areas up there have non-pressured fish that are not spooky to a jig and are actually often times attracted by the larger sizes. The only problem I have using the 1/2 oz is hooking more up in the rocks.

Good luck.

Hillbiehle

Scenic, thanks for your reply.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Hillbiehle:

You might want to consider one rod rigged with the heavier wight to search for fish and then slow down, fishing with another rod rigged lighter once fish have been located. Last week we were using 3/4 to 1 1/2oz bottom bouncers to locate fish and switching to 3/8 oz. down to 1/4 oz. jigs to work the group over.

Mark

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

We used 1/4 to 3/8 oz in 15 to 18 feet of water, take along a drift sock for getting your speed down.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.