Canada????

• keepcasting
    Excelsior

Is there a Canada specific forum on IDA somewhere that I am missing? If not, has it been considered as an idea. I am heading up to the English river system this weekend for a week of trophy chasing which made me think that I am sure that there are a lot of other IDAers that spend a week or two north of the border that would want to discuss resorts, presentations, planning, reports of success and the sort. Just and idea/suggestion.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

What part of the English?
    I stayed at Naughty Pines for a week with my Pop and slaughtered the walleyes!

keepcasting
    Excelsior

We have been going to Halley’s Camps on Lake Umfreville which is about a 200,000 acre reservior on the English river the last 6 years and have caught loads of walleye, pike and smallies every year. It in the Trophy Waters area so all walleye over 19″ have to go back which is fine with me.

fredbart
    St. Paul

Cool. I fish Separation Lake which is just up from where you are staying each year. One idea for you to try is to not ignore the many shallow bays these systems have. The emerging weeds are a magnat! As many of the bays are rather large I have had really great success snap jigging plastics while trolling the weed edges. We use 4 inch grub tails and the good old ring worm.

Another fun plastic is fishing tubes in slight current areas for walleyes as well as smallies. last but not least is rattle baits for northern and walleye in the emerging weeds. Sometimes speed kills! Great fishery. Have fun.

keepcasting
    Excelsior

We have only been up to this location durring the week of Memorial Day and the weeds have never really been “emerging” most of the weeds that are there are dead leftovers from last year. As long as the water is below about 55 degrees the pike and walleyes are still in the bays for the most part, suspending cranks and slow twitching retrieves seem to outproduce everything. You are dead on by discussing current…wherever there is current there are fish this time of year. I will let you know how we do. Sus

vman59
    Barron,wi

looking for a cabin to rent for a week in canada next spring (2008) my son wants it for a graduation present. He wants a drive to or boat to outpost cabin but I have also heard of private cabins that are for rent. Any help would be appreciated.

MolitorMMM
    Theeee Land of 10,000 lakes

Go to Gold Pines Resort in Ear Falls, ontario

http://www.nwconx.net/~goldpine/

“its the best lake i’ve ever been to”

Quote:

looking for a cabin to rent for a week in canada next spring (2008) my son wants it for a graduation present. He wants a drive to or boat to outpost cabin but I have also heard of private cabins that are for rent. Any help would be appreciated.

big_g
    Isle, MN

This is a drive to. About 9 hours drive from Mpls. Good fishing and nice cabins.

big g

Discovery Lake

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

From what I know, I have to agree with Big G on this one.. Although I have not yet made it to Discovery, my brother has been there many many times. From the stories i’ve heard, it’s great fishing and even greater fun. I will be going there one day soon. I hear Pauley is quite the character!!

vman59
    Barron,wi

Appreciate all the advice. Checked out Discovery and was really impressed.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Is there a Canada specific forum on IDA somewhere that I am missing? If not, has it been considered as an idea. I am heading up to the English river system this weekend for a week of trophy chasing which made me think that I am sure that there are a lot of other IDAers that spend a week or two north of the border that would want to discuss resorts, presentations, planning, reports of success and the sort. Just and idea/suggestion.

There wasn’t, but there is now.

Great idea!

http://www.in-depthangling.com/forum/subpostlist.php/Cat/0/Board/canada

vman59
    Barron,wi

anyone ever fish or have any info on Ivanhoe lake? Or fish ith Red Pine Lodge?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Your right about Pauley. We came out a day early, from Dominion, because his group of 10 guys arrived a day early from Nebraska. Long story short, we fished a lake by his camp at Zarn, and caught some fish, then he supplied us with beverages that night around the fire. I remember some of what went on, but most is a blur…. felt like we were back in time about 100 years or so, with Pauley.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

That’s funny stuff. I can’t wait to meet that guy.. Oh, and do some fishing.

keepcasting
    Excelsior

James,
    I am glad that you liked the suggestion. Our group just got back this weekend so i figured i would post a report.

As i stated earlier, we fished out of Halley’s Camps on the English river system. This was our 8th year there and I will have to say that this was the slowest year we have had up there as far as numbers and size of walleyes go. I also feel pretty confident is saying that the weather had everything to do with it. For days 2-5 of the 6 day trip we were faced with rain and fog and temps in the low 50’s durring the day. This cold front dropped the water temp in the main lake from 52 degrees when we got there to 47 degrees when the rain stopped. It isn’t like we didn’t catch fish, we just had to work for them a little more. Over the years our boat (my dad and I) average about 70-80 fish a day (pike, walleye and smallmouth in various combinations. This year it was more like 30-40 a day. The walleyes were in 12-16 feet of water on just about every rock point, the difference this year is that you would catch 3 or 4 and then it would go quiet. Previous years we hardley needed to drop a jig down, the walleyes would crush crankbaits. The smallies were along steeper than normal rock walls and anywhere there was current. The big pike still responded and for the most part were out in the middle of the larger shallower bays, as opposed to along the shoreline. No weed growth yet to speak of. I have attached a picture of my best fish, a 39 inch pike on one of the sunny days. Regardless of number or size of fish caught a great trip as usual with a great group of guys, which is really what a Canadian trip is all about.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I know when I went up there, I am pretty sure he made his winter home in Little Falls, not too far from Rice. I don’t know if he still lives there or not though…. he is a character.

big g

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Yes, I think he still winters in Little Falls.. A few years back my brother had to leave his crew a little early and hitched a ride back with Pauley and his gal. Pauley was driving down to buy a vehicle for his brother. So the guy had $10,000 in cash on him when he was crossing the border. You can imagine that, a guy like Pauley crossing into the US with that kind of money. It turns out they asked him a few questions. haha.

vman59
    Barron,wi

was wondering if anyone has fished Agimak or big Vermillion lakes?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.